danarcher

Playing a recording on another computer

I have a 16ch GV800 8.31 software.

My client has saved a video clip and copied it to his memory stick.

The clip will not play on any machine apart from the computer with the GV800 card installed.

I have updated the media player on the DVR to Windows Media Player 11, but still no luck on playing these files on any other machine.

Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions please

How did he save the file to the stick? AVI? Did he save it as an exe file. If so, it should run with Media Player.

If the file still exists, go back to View Log and run Backup. Ensure the box that says "Include Player" is checked. That will include EZplayer with the file so you can play it back on any computer.

Also, in general, VLC Media Player is very good at working with the countless different formats, typically when something won't play in other players, VLC was able to show it!

On a side note, there may be a codec that should be installed so that players can decode the video file.

Thank you for your suggestions folks, it is very much appreciated.

I will give them a go and see what happens.

Regards

Dennis

VLC won't do it on its own either - you need the proper GV player and codec. Rory has a little package with all the necessary files for a "portable" GV player, maybe he'll chime in here.

Another reason I stopped using Geo, its a PITA for that same reason.

Also VLC will play it but ... upside down.

Only fail safe method is to use the Ezviewlog player.

Even with the EXE or installing the codecs manually, Windows Media Player can try to use other codecs especially if you have things like the Klite Codec Pack installed. If its a moderately clean PC then should be no issue.

Unfortunately the Ezviewlog Portable Package on my site is old (8.1.1), and it tends to fail with newer video. If you have access to the Ezviewlog backed up for another video from your DVR, then just copy it and remove those videos and follow the same method I used here:

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/software/geovision-software/ezlog.asp

I also have something called GeoShare, but again it used regular Media Player, also it was designed for older GeoVision Video, and for an Optical drive instead of a USB drive. All it really does is auto run the codec installer then open Explorer so you can manually click on the video to play in Media Player. Codecs in that case are old, though there is a chance they will still work, depends on what codec you were using and what version Geo it was.

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/software/geovision-software/geoshare.asp

Otherwise, here is another way, using Media Player Classic.

I used this method the last time I had to share some video for the cops, was for 8.3.2.

I changed the layout and folder names to make it easier for you to understand.

Again no replacement for the Ezviewlog, and this isnt on my site.

Contains 3 folders:

1-GeoCodecs: in this case it is 8.3.2, if you need another version, get the codecs from your DVR, or download the correct version from my site - http://www.bahamassecurity.com/downloads/geovision-downloads.asp

2-GeoPlayer: contains Media Player Classic. This is used to play the file.

It should just run on computers with existing Media Player installed.

3-GeoVideo: contains the video file you want to play.

And 2 files:

AUTORUN.INF - this is optimized for a USB flash drive.

PLAYBACK.CMD - This installs the codecs and opens the video in the player.

Here is the ZIP file, it contains a dummy video file, delete that and change the video file name in PLAYBACK.CMD to your video file name.

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/dl/?q=GeoPlayback.zip