Sign in to follow this  
ASI

Suspected ground loop issue

I have a system that is located at a industrial complex where the guard shack is a seperate building from the area being monitored. The DVR is located in the guard shack and the cameras and power supply is located inside the warehouse. System functioned wonderfully until a recent storm (electrical) zapped a few cameras. I replaced a few of the board cameras from the existing domes with some boards purchased off ebay. (shared ground dc camera boards) and have serious issues when I hook up more then one to the DVR. Rolling horizontal lines. Individually, each camera looks great. All connected together and it gets very bad. What is the more likely solution to my issue? Ground loop isolators on each problem camera? Individual DC power supplies for the problem cameras? Something I haven't considered? Advise would be appreciated, this job site requires 2 hours of windshield time and I need to resolve this issue with one trip if possible.

System is powered by a Honeywell 8 channel AC Powersupply

Original cameras are Dedicated Micros Domes

New camera boards are DC cameras that produce a decent picture individually just interfere when all connected at the same time. I have inline power converters at the cameras to convert the 24vac to 12dvc. I have good voltage at the cameras. Thanks for your time.

I had a similar problem like yours once, We had two master power supplys, a mix of different cameras and some ground loops. I thought I would simply this and just use one 24V power supply, and then use 12V converters at the camera end for the 12V only cameras.

the problem was worse.

my solution ended up using the 24vac powersupply and about 10 separate 12V power bricks on the problem cameras.

This may sound too easy, but can you lift the ground on the DVR? If the DVR is plugged in to a 3-prong AC outlet, get one of those old plastic adapters for plugging a grounded cord into a two prong outlet and see what happens. This will "lift" the ground on the DVR side assuming there is no other local grounded connection.

Assuming video connections are analog? Coax?