vmgtlexi

HELP Accessing OSD Menu for new Cameras

HELP!

I just replaced a bullet camera. The new camera is this model:

Previously, I have always just used the OSD settings out of the box (ie, I never accessed them and thus never changed any settings).

But, now I want to access the OSD menu for the new camera to fiddle with some settings.

I do not have one of those portable camera tester screens. My camera DOES have RS-485 wires pre-attached. I can get to these wires in my attic with my laptop.

Is there anyway to access my camera's OSD menu with the RS-485 wires and a laptop? Please be specific on steps and parts needed.

Or, please steer me in the easiest, most cost-effective solution if a laptop is not the answer. I do not want to run RS-485 wires through my house. I am DONE running wires.

I forgot to include the model of camera I just installed per the question above. Here it is:

http://www.samsung-security.com/products/security-cameras/analog-cameras/bullet-cameras/SCO-2080R.aspx

you can buy a controller for that camera. but if you dont do much samsung work it might be better to see if your supplier can rent you one.

its called SCX-RD100 controller.

100b.jpg

easiest solution = plug camera composite output into a small TV. While standing on ladder/etc press buttons inside camera. Although this is a bullet, so maybe there are no buttons? Consult your manual on that.

If you don't have a small monitor to view with:

You need an RS485 to USB converter. Search for that online, they should be fairly cheap. Someone else here may have a specific recommendation.

Once its hooked up, it will appear as a normal COM port in Windows. Then you just need some software to send the right stuff to it.

I think there are many free programs for this, I searched PTZ Controller and lots of stuff came up. Someone else here must know good options?

Oh, and BTW it would be awesome if you would post some sample shots - I'm curious to see how well these Samsungs perform?

easiest solution = plug camera composite output into a small TV. While standing on ladder/etc press buttons inside camera. Although this is a bullet, so maybe there are no buttons? Consult your manual on that.

Birdman - my thought exactly.

The camera came with an "Installation Video Output Cable". From memory, I think it's a female BNC. So, maybe I would need to first attach an adapter (linked below). Then, I could just run a regular RCA video cable to our camping TV. Is that the idea? Would the OSD menu automatically appear assuming my bullet camera has internal buttons (which think it does)??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882203035&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Audio+/+Video+Cables-_-STARTECH-_-82203035

PS - Yes, once I get the cameras looking like I want, I will DEFINITELY post images and/or video. You all have been a great help to me, so I want to be sure to return the favor in any way possible.

OSD will appear on all video outputs. Some cameras just provide a BNC -> RCA adapter. My CNB's came with an RCA plug with a 2-pin plug on the other end to go into a board in the camera. Is that like what you have?

If its a BNC output, use the adapter you listed to plug into any small TV you have. WOAH - don't pay $5+shipping for it though! Should be able to find it cheaper... Check radioshack?

Yea, just plug it into your TV and watch. The menu will NOT come up automatically though. I don't know where they hide the buttons on/in their bullets, but somewhere there will be a button! Press it once, and the menu should come up. Then typically it is a center clicker button, that moves up, down, left, right to navigate the menu.

Tom,

I can't find that product on the site you linked. The link only brings up an image, but not a price, model # or anything.

What is that device called?