tbfarmer

2 wire rs485 compared to 4 wire?

Hi everyone, Im glad to have found this forum! My problem is I recently had to replaced a dvr which got stolen, with a new one. On the old dvr I had a PTZ setup and it worked great, the issue is the old DVR had a plug with 4 wires for the rs 485 and the new dvr has only 2? Now I only have 2 wires running to ptz camera but on the old DVR I had 2 jumpers right at plug going Im assuming from rx+ to Tx+ and rc- to tc-, now the new dvr only has 2 terminals marked + and - and when I connect my 2 wires running from ptz device up to the new dvr I cant get it to communicate? the only difference being old dvr had 4 wire hookup with jumper and new one only has two? Im really stumped at this point? Thanks in advance.

Four wires are only required for two-way communications. Since PTZs are almost universally receive-only devices, they don't typically need the second pair of wires to transmit back.

Normally, you'd connect the outputs on the controller/DVR (TX+ and TX-, or TX(A) and TX(B) in most cases) to the corresponding RX pins on the camera (although many cameras will work on the TX pins as well).

It was not a resistor it was a jumper! the old dvr had a 4 wire hookup and since there were only 2 wires coming from PTZ device the jumpers went from both + and both - I remember on that dvr it would only work with the jumpers in place, but now only having 2 terminals on DVR it should even be easier with just + and - but ofcourse its not working? The PTZ device is just a generic PTZ controller that runs off of rs 485 and worked perfect for me with old DVR for 3 years, and the DVR is from a place called Intellicam called a Gen 4 DX-LN full D1 4 channel DVR. only difference from old to new dvr is the 4 terminals on old and 2 on new? thanks I need to verify the PTZ dip switches for address and protocol and baud rate but I need to bring my scissor lift over there to get up to the PTZ controller to check.

I checked all settings today and the new DVR still wont communicate with the PTZ decoder? It worked fine with old DVR and now with new DVR nothing this is getting frustrasting? should I try a rs 232 to 485 converter as the dvr also has rs 232? is there a rs 485 tester to get? thanks