mike_va

IR test - $5 ebay, Bosch EX12, Raytec RM100-50, MIR1000 etc

Camera was a CNB BBM-24F with a wide angle lens (birch tree back by the fence is about 45 ft from the camera). Had to set it to night, as the big Raytec kept trying to bounce it back in to color. The white illuminators in the picture are re-purposed halogen flood lights (~$25 in parts ea).

For better or worse, I moved the IR around to try to get an idea of the coverage. Hope this helps someone.

The big Raytec was the most impressive, but it retails for a lot of money...

IMG_0316c.jpg.b8accc49703feb42b3f2792688b05552.jpg

BTW the EX12 is their smallest IR and is only meant for things like front entrances and other small areas.

Pity Extreme still doesn't make their gear cause they would put Waytec to shame

Thanks. Wow that Raytec is expensive.

I got a couple of their 100 fusion White LEDs sitting in a box somewhere if you know anyone that wants them cheap. Its a clients not mine but they should be willing to sell them for alot less than they cost new .. which is an arm and a leg.

BTW the EX12 is their smallest IR and is only meant for things like front entrances and other small areas.

Pity Extreme still doesn't make their gear cause they would put Waytec to shame

Rory what model Raytec did you use?

What model Raylux 100 version are they? I might be intrested.

Raytec Fusion White LEDs, the 50-50 and 3 of the 100-50, the 50-50 is still installed but they never installed 1 of the 100's, and the other 2 were taken down primarily because they decided they didnt want the bright light in the yard .. guess security is not priority number one there

The white illuminators in the picture are re-purposed halogen flood lights (~$25 in parts ea).

I also built my own out of a busted halogen work light. I used 96 LEDs w/ 33 ohm resistors. I went to the low end of the forward voltage, so they would last. It is no where near as bright as what you had. I have 200 loose LEDs waiting for when I have the patience to build another one. This time stepping up the voltage a tenth or 2.

Thanks again for that video. I guess my only real question is why aren't a few of those home made boxes listed over in the for sale forum?

Thanks again for that video. I guess my only real question is why aren't a few of those home made boxes listed over in the for sale forum?

How much would you be willing to spend

Raytec Fusion White LEDs, the 50-50 and 3 of the 100-50, the 50-50 is still installed but they never installed 1 of the 100's, and the other 2 were taken down primarily because they decided they didnt want the bright light in the yard .. guess security is not priority number one there

Have you ever installed the IR version?

I guess my only real question is why aren't a few of those home made boxes listed over in the for sale forum?

Thanks! Short answer is that I design satellite power systems and this is a hobby.

Made those as I could not buy what I wanted: something that would not look out of place on the house (and I've spent a lot of time staring at the house trying to figure out where to put that big Raytec where it would not stick out like a sore thumb) AND be high quality (i.e. having an appropriate thermal design and derating for long life (rules out ebay units) AND provide telemetry AND level adjustment AND have a decent coverage angle.

HI All,

Nice Test Video! Thanks for sharing that

Firstly... let me say that I work for Raytec - so you know where my opinions come from.

The Raytec unit tested here is designed for longer distances and will produce so much light that the camera will try to kick back into colour (as one comment suggested). But... each one of our illuminators comes with a photocell following contact to control the switching of day/night cameras. When the photocell detects it is dark the IR is turned on and the camera is triggered to go into black and white mode. Then when the photocell detects it is light the IR goes off and the camera is allowed to return to colour. It's a good system and something we recommend for all big or high security installs.

There are a few comments that Raytec are expensive. All retail prices should be lower than Bosch / Extreme for like for like products (being honest the Bosch lights ARE good, and are our only real high end competitor).

The history here is that Bosch only have lighting because they purchased Extreme CCTV.

Extreme CCTV only have lighting because they purchased a UK company - Derwent CCTV

Raytec were founded by 3 ex-Derwent people one of them was the founder of Derwent CCTV.

Small world. Glad to see so many people are interested in lighting.

The history here is that Bosch only have lighting because they purchased Extreme CCTV.

Extreme CCTV only have lighting because they purchased a UK company - Derwent CCTV

Raytec were founded by 3 ex-Derwent people one of them was the founder of Derwent CCTV.

Small world. Glad to see so many people are interested in lighting.

Bosch literally destroyed the company they purchased, they got rid of some of the best products and replaced them with what could only be called junk next to those that came before - the only thing I will give them is the IR is better now on the cameras with built in IR.

For example, Extreme/Derwent spent a good part of decade promoting dual day night cameras, and they were spot on correct that it is better than a single day night camera - Bosch has since been discontinuing them for a single day night camera, which going by the camera itself does not match the dual performance - a single camera never will.

But yes Extreme was overpriced as well, and had quality control issues over the years.

Their original cameras from 10 years ago were the best, most still work today.

Rory what were the best products and what is junk?

EX82 was the best day night product they had and they killed it (although over the years it had some quality control issues, primarily the photocell switchover), in fact they killed all the old Extreme Dual CCD cameras - instead of just updating what is still the best option for a day night app. Junk is anything that is a single camera trying to replace a dual camera for day night apps, offering ONLY a 5-50mm lens preset to 50mm, and charging much more for it. OK I guess the word junk is a little harsh in this case, because its still a great product.

Granted I can partially understand the need for a new internal design and they added some features that can make it a little easier to adjust, but the whole dual camera concept should have remained. And switching from something like the EX82 or even the EX30 to something the size of the VEI30, its just ridiculous. There just isnt any sane reason that the VEI had to be so huge, especially now as it only had 1 camera! I have EX82s and EX30s all over these poles, but this new VEI will never fit, and its way too heavy.

BTW the camera in the EX30 sucked big time, no wonder that was discontinued, but I doubt it had anything to do with that, moreso with getting rid of the entire extreme design for something completely different.

The bottom line is clear though, when you put the image in the day or in the night from the EX82 against the EX30 or now the VEI30, the EX82 wins (supposing they are all new) - except as mentioned the VIE30 has more IR.

In addition to all that, they also killed the EX26LED - that thing is awesome, I have one here and there is no other like it for short to mid range IR - a pity really.

The UF500 was also great except the $80 bulb had to be replaced every couple years.

Another one is the EX12LED, overpriced IMO but I installed one 8 years or so ago and it still works to this day. Only good for very small areas though.

Just my opinion - I used this gear from 2001.