Hi all, a fairly common amateur question im sure. I have set up a basic 2 camera CCTV system in work using a Pico2000 card and a cheap DVR card from eBay. I have it set up nicely and all is fine, apart from just how poor the video quality is! There is what is best described as blurring when people move around, and one of the cameras does not show the detail expected of it (its a 700tvl camera, but im sure the quality issue is the card).

So what i need in a card. The ability to record up to 700TVL properly in 4 cameras and expandable to more, motion detection/alarm only recording, remote viewing (preferably web based) and if possible on board video compression rather than using the CPU. The two main makes im finding at Avermedia and GeoVision. How do these makes compare and would the base models/entry level do or would i have to look more at the medium level cards?

Hmmm a very nice curve ball to the idea, thanks tomcctv!

But if i did stick to the cards, which make and range is preferred?

then i would look at the aver nv3000t. but add the card / hard drive / sound card / and the nano is cheaper and faster.

The cards are being used in a pre-existing system so costs are kept down hence why i am leaning towards the cards. But a dedicated DVR which is designed to run 24/7 would be more ideal. How easy is it to upgrade the HD that comes with them, just pop opent he case and plug a new one in or are there software blocks in place like?

I have had a look around and found little price difference between the avermedia nv3000L and nv5000L so i think i would go for the 5000L purely for the higher FPS. But i am wondering how much load they put onto the CPU. At the moment my cheap Pico2000 card puts a minimum for 50% onto the CPU, and up to 100% if i had a 5sec pre-alarm recording set. I have phoned the supplier and he confirms it puts some load onto the CPU but could not say how much. Does anybody have any experience of this?

The alternative of a dedicated DVR would out at around 50% more expensive and only has a 50fps record compared to 100FPS with the NV5000L.

hi. the aver nv5000l is a lite card ..... dont get specs mixed up two types nv5000 and the nv5000L

NV5000L is only 25fps @D1 so around the same as the nv3000

NV5000 is 100fps @ D1

Thanks for pointing that out! The supplier i was going to get it from has conflicting information on his website so i have emailed him for confirmation. Ill start a new thread in the relevent forum section about the DVR i am thinking of getting, an Averdigi SEB3104H.

Thanks

Another option is a video encoder. The Avigilon 4 port video encoder is under $400 (ask one of the dealers on this forum for pricing) and only requires one Avigilon license. I have not used the recently announced H.264 video encoder, but I have used the JPEG2000. I connected 2 Avigilon encoders to 8 pre-installed low quality Q See cameras and the encoders enhanced the quality well beyond what was possible with the Q See DVR. Eventually, they may replace the crappy cameras too, but it's super easy to drop in these PoE Avigilon encoders, and the price is right and the quality is excellent.

Best,

Christopher

That is also on the website im looking at. Yet the item is listed as a 100FPS camera. And in addition there is this:

http://www.cameras-cctv.com/fs/doc/product/averdigi-nv-lite-series-edm-jul-081.pdf

The avermedia specsheet has it listed as a 100FPS (pal) card.

Do the avermedia cards all use the same software? Or like with the DVR boxes do they use different versions (with different capabilities)?