Sign in to follow this  
tds1

Some basic IP Networking questions

I am trying to design my hybrid camera network and need some basic networking advice. I have the analog cameras installed and connected to an Aver EH1008H hybrid DVR. I am now trying to figure out the IP portion of the system.

My plan is to have my cable modem connected to a Linksys E4200 Gigabit 4 port router.

One wired connection on the Linksys will go to a Trendnet 16 port Gigabit wired switch. All my computers, printers, etc will be connected to that Trendnet switch.

A second wired connection on the Linksys will go to a Gigabit POE Switch (still trying to pick that out). That switch will be used for connecting the IP cameras and the AverEH1008.

I am trying to set this up so that the IP/DVR switch does not slow down everything else on the network. Is this the correct way to design it with 2 separate switches? Is this all I need to do? How do I ensure that the cameras/DVR are "separate" from everything else but still accessible? Sorry, I realize this is a pretty basic question, but any general networking advice would be appreciated!

I am trying to design my hybrid camera network and need some basic networking advice. I have the analog cameras installed and connected to an Aver EH1008H hybrid DVR. I am now trying to figure out the IP portion of the system.

My plan is to have my cable modem connected to a Linksys E4200 Gigabit 4 port router.

One wired connection on the Linksys will go to a Trendnet 16 port Gigabit wired switch. All my computers, printers, etc will be connected to that Trendnet switch.

A second wired connection on the Linksys will go to a Gigabit POE Switch (still trying to pick that out). That switch will be used for connecting the IP cameras and the AverEH1008.

I am trying to set this up so that the IP/DVR switch does not slow down everything else on the network. Is this the correct way to design it with 2 separate switches? Is this all I need to do? How do I ensure that the cameras/DVR are "separate" from everything else but still accessible? Sorry, I realize this is a pretty basic question, but any general networking advice would be appreciated!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+create+two+separate+subnets

You are most likely worrying unnecessarily.

Creating 2 IP subnets won't change anything, it is the switch fabric, or backplane, that would be the potential bottleneck.

Not sure what kind or qty of IP cameras you are going with, but 30Mbps per camera (MJPEG) would be a bandwidth estimate on the high-side of things. 6-10Mbps if you're using h.264 (and I'm assuming 2-3 megapixel cameras here. If you're only doing 720p, then it's even less.)

If the 16 port switch had 16 cameras x 30Mbps, that would be 480Mbps, or about 2/3 of your effective available gigabit LAN bandwidth. The other typical stuff you do (eg: Internet crap) would have PLENTY of available bandwidth, especially since that 480Mbps of traffic would only be between the cameras and NVR.

Easiest way to handle this is to put all the cameras and NVR on one dedicated switch. Connect that switch to the first switch, and put your other PC's, Internet router, etc. all on that first switch.

Put everything in the same IP subnet to keep it simple.

You are most likely worrying unnecessarily.

Creating 2 IP subnets won't change anything, it is the switch fabric, or backplane, that would be the potential bottleneck.

Not sure what kind or qty of IP cameras you are going with, but 30Mbps per camera (MJPEG) would be a bandwidth estimate on the high-side of things. 6-10Mbps if you're using h.264 (and I'm assuming 2-3 megapixel cameras here. If you're only doing 720p, then it's even less.)

If the 16 port switch had 16 cameras x 30Mbps, that would be 480Mbps, or about 2/3 of your effective available gigabit LAN bandwidth. The other typical stuff you do (eg: Internet crap) would have PLENTY of available bandwidth, especially since that 480Mbps of traffic would only be between the cameras and NVR.

Easiest way to handle this is to put all the cameras and NVR on one dedicated switch. Connect that switch to the first switch, and put your other PC's, Internet router, etc. all on that first switch.

Put everything in the same IP subnet to keep it simple.

Thanks NotoriousBRK and ak357. I will only have 5 cameras - 2 will be 1 megapixel, 1 will be 2 megapixel and 2 will be 3 megapixel. Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem.

NotoriousBRK - One question on the setup you mentioned. That's what I was planning - 2 dedicated switches. One for the cameras and NVR (Switch 1), one for everything else (Switch 2). I was planning on connecting each separately to the internet wireless router. In your example, I think you suggested connecting the camera switch (Switch 1) to the computer/printer switch (Switch 2) which is then connected to the router. Is there some advantage to linking them like that or is it better to connect them separately to the internet router?

Thanks!

NotoriousBRK - One question on the setup you mentioned. That's what I was planning - 2 dedicated switches. One for the cameras and NVR (Switch 1), one for everything else (Switch 2). I was planning on connecting each separately to the internet wireless router. In your example, I think you suggested connecting the camera switch (Switch 1) to the computer/printer switch (Switch 2) which is then connected to the router. Is there some advantage to linking them like that or is it better to connect them separately to the internet router?

Thanks!

If your Internet router has multiple ports, then connect both switches to the router directly. I wasn't sure if you had the typical 4-port switch style router, or the typical 1-port ISP-provided style. In the grand scheme of things I doubt you could tell ANY difference in either scenario though.

If your Internet router has multiple ports, then connect both switches to the router directly. I wasn't sure if you had the typical 4-port switch style router, or the typical 1-port ISP-provided style. In the grand scheme of things I doubt you could tell ANY difference in either scenario though.

just curios

What is max bandwidth from switch (gig port) to comp nic card u would suggest ?

your opinion plz

I will only have 5 cameras - 2 will be 1 megapixel, 1 will be 2 megapixel and 2 will be 3 megapixel.

Hi. just so as you are not pulling your hair out when setting up. this hybrid only takes 4 ip cameras max

I will only have 5 cameras - 2 will be 1 megapixel, 1 will be 2 megapixel and 2 will be 3 megapixel.

Hi. just so as you are not pulling your hair out when setting up. this hybrid only takes 4 ip cameras max

Yep. Good point. I will be starting out with 4, eventually moving to a dedicated NVR.

just curios

your opinion plz

Do you mean at what point would I try to "cap" the bandwidth to prevent overrunning the NIC?

I would personally try to keep it at 400Mbps or less, but I think in general you will find that the HDD sustained write speed (especially with occasional reads if someone is going to be watching or searching recorded video at times) is going to be the bigger limiting factor.

Still I think the question may be too broad, since the best answer may apply differently based on the scope of the system.

A gigbit Ethernet can sustain a max data throughput of around 750Mbps. Barring other data, I'd usually derate any such spec by 1/2, eg: if a device says it can support X, I'd try to engineer a system based around that device for 1/2 X, unless X is some radically simple data point (like a max operating temp, if a camera says it operates to 122F, I don't mind operating it at 100F).

just curios

your opinion plz

Do you mean at what point would I try to "cap" the bandwidth to prevent overrunning the NIC?

I would personally try to keep it at 400Mbps or less, but I think in general you will find that the HDD sustained write speed (especially with occasional reads if someone is going to be watching or searching recorded video at times) is going to be the bigger limiting factor.

My number is slightly smaller the yours (400Mbps)

other wise agree with rest