LittleScoobyMaster

Holy Geovision High Definition Inquisition!

Anyone know which Geovision cards can view and record in 1080p?

For instance, I notice even in the latest Geovision user manual, it seems that the highest rez is only 720x640. Surely this can't be correct since the latets Geovision camera's are capable of 1080p.

What's the scoop? Is there a way for my old piece of junk GV600 to record in 1080p by adusting some .ini settings or something? Anything....Hmm. I bet I need to upgrade, but even if I do, the user manual still only lists 720x480. What the hoona-hogga-hell?

Yea, the cards are limited to 720x480 D1 resolution (NTSC system). But you can certainly go buy an IP camera (megapixel if wanted), that will put out resolutions at 1080p and beyond!

Yea, the cards are limited to 720x480 D1 resolution (NTSC system). But you can certainly go buy an IP camera (megapixel if wanted), that will put out resolutions at 1080p and beyond!

Holy moly. You mean the user manual was correct?

That's lame as a cucumber in the sun.

Anyone have any ideas when the Geovision cards will be able to handle the resolutions that the camera's are putting out?

I still notice that Geovision only lists a 1024x768 window mode. Is that seriously still in place, meaning, if I have a widescreen monitor, the Geovision app only runs in 1024x768 after all this time?

Holy Moly.

Howdy!

You dont use a GV-card to record/view from IP cameras, you need software/usb dongle(license).

Cards are used for analoge cameras that have max 704 x 576 pixels, well there are also new camera models using 650/700TVL and I guess there will be some 650/700TVL compression cards coming.

The 1024x768 you can adjust in your General setting tab and under installing GV.

JD

Anyone have any ideas when the Geovision cards will be able to handle the resolutions that the camera's are putting out?

Never. Geovision cards won't, and neither will anyone else's. 640/704/720/740x480 is based on the limitations of the NTSC video standard that the cameras use to output their signal. 600/700TVL cameras can't get around that either - the camera itself could be 10,000x7,000 resolution, and the analog video output would still be limited by the video standard.

To get beyond that, you need a different way to get the signal into the DVR, and right now, that means either IP (via the network), or HD-SDI (which is a different, much more expensive type of card).

You mean like the Effio 960H cameras?

No idea but imagine it would need a new card.

Dahua has a DVR that claims that though, maybe buy one and let us know how it works

They have the 1080p one also but its only 4 channel and its SDI .. cheaper to go IP MP at this time.

You mean like the Effio 960H cameras?

No idea but imagine it would need a new card.

Dahua has a DVR that claims that though, maybe buy one and let us know how it works

They have the 1080p one also but its only 4 channel and its SDI .. cheaper to go IP MP at this time.

If you need to pull new cable then Megapixel network cameras is the vest econmic/quality solution, if you have coax cable that is ok for HD-SDI then HD-SDI would be the best economic/quality solution.

I made a matrix of when HD-SDI solution would be a better deal then MP(IP), but it isnt any good for you cause you need to think of your labour cost and that is changing from city to city and country to country.

But I really like the HD-SDI, no delay in the video as on IP, but I think for new projects needing new cable, network cameras is the way to go and if have coax then HD-SDI will be considered. I have PC based DVR software that are running, Analog, HD-SDI and IP/megapixel cameras in one software, also Onvif comp.

JD

I was thinking of the Geovision camera's like this one: [edit by mod-store link removed]

However, then I'm out at the Best Buy, looking at there little web cams that are now in 1080p even, for like 100 bones or right around there.

And then I'm thinkin...why can't we just plug one of those into a Geovision card for a fun little ditty. Perhaps it will never be. I think 720 is too low and surveillance needs to go HD, just like everything else these days.

They should have an HD Geovision by now. Those turkies.

Holy censorship!

My link was removed.

I wish that didn't have to happen. I like to be able to post links to products when I have a question about them. I sometimes feel like we live in the U.S.S.R. when it comes to this forum.

Reminds me of the song:

Back in the......Back in the.....Back in the USSR! You don't know how lucky you are. Sing it.

Links to products are fine, just not links to online stores

I know. But sometimes it's nice to be able to point to a link and ask people what they think of the price and of the companies reputation, or for when there is a sale or discount, etc. like they are allowed to do in non-USSR countries. To quote Chevy Chase from Caddyshack "You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia. Is this Russia? This isn't Russia."

But yeah, that's the main weakness of this forum. The average little guy DIY'r \ hobbiest \ techy can't use buying power here at all.

Power to the People.

This site is supported by advertisers - reputable retailers who pay money to have their banners displayed. When people post links to other (often questionable) online retailers, it takes business from them. If they don't get the business, it's not worth their money to advertise, they stop paying for that ad space, and the site gets shut down because the bills don't get paid.

The alternative would be for the site owners to charge users for access... which would you prefer?

Don't confuse these types of forums with democracies - they're not. They're dictatorships under the ultimate control over the person who has to cover the bills and does all the work to create them and keep them running. They're little private sandboxes, each with their own rules.

All that aside...

They should have an HD Geovision by now. Those turkies

They do. You have to use IP attached cameras. As has already been covered, analog video standards don't support higher resolutions than D1 - that's not a GeoVision thing, all analog DVRs have the same limitation.

This site is supported by advertisers - reputable retailers who pay money to have their banners displayed. When people post links to other (often questionable) online retailers, it takes business from them. If they don't get the business, it's not worth their money to advertise, they stop paying for that ad space, and the site gets shut down because the bills don't get paid.

The alternative would be for the site owners to charge users for access... which would you prefer?

Don't confuse these types of forums with democracies - they're not. They're dictatorships under the ultimate control over the person who has to cover the bills and does all the work to create them and keep them running. They're little private sandboxes, each with their own rules.

All that aside...

They do. You have to use IP attached cameras. As has already been covered, analog video standards don't support higher resolutions than D1 - that's not a GeoVision thing, all analog DVRs have the same limitation.

I know the reasons why they don't want to allow links here, many other sites have a similar problem with ad revenue but usually they are able to obtain the ad revenue without the extreme censorship this forum often succumbs to. It's much higher here than most forums I participate in. Like you mention, it is dictatorship here, moreso than any other forum I have been on before. I only wish there was a Geo forum that wasn't run this way. The strict posting rules are probably one of the reasons the Geovision cards are still as overpriced as they are. I've seen some GV600's that cost the same now as they have 6 years ago. Seems wrong.

But for the HD geovisions, that is what I am wondering about. I'll have to see which models support 1080p. Haven't looked too closely yet but the snapshots from some of the HD cameras are pretty nice.

many other sites have a similar problem with ad revenue but usually they are able to obtain the ad revenue without the extreme censorship this forum often succumbs to

hi. i dont think you understand how advertising works. the forum gets nothing from links.

I only wish there was a Geo forum that wasn't run this way. The strict posting rules are probably one of the reasons the Geovision cards are still as overpriced as they are. I've seen some GV600's that cost the same now as they have 6 years ago. Seems wrong.

How do the rules on this privately-run forum have ANYTHING to do with the price of GeoVision cards???

But for the HD geovisions, that is what I am wondering about. I'll have to see which models support 1080p.

The "model" of GV card has nothing to do with it - megapixel support is purely a factor of the software. No card is required at all to record IP cameras. Don't limit yourself to 1080p, either - that's 2MP at best. 3MP and 5MP cameras are common, and some are available up to 16MP.

All that aside...

I know the reasons why they don't want to allow links here, many other sites have a similar problem with ad revenue but usually they are able to obtain the ad revenue without the extreme censorship this forum often succumbs to. It's much higher here than most forums I participate in. Like you mention, it is dictatorship here, moreso than any other forum I have been on before. I only wish there was a Geo forum that wasn't run this way. The strict posting rules are probably one of the reasons the Geovision cards are still as overpriced as they are. I've seen some GV600's that cost the same now as they have 6 years ago. Seems wrong.

But for the HD geovisions, that is what I am wondering about. I'll have to see which models support 1080p. Haven't looked too closely yet but the snapshots from some of the HD cameras are pretty nice.

The reason the Geovision cards is about same price is that Geovision had only 2 price drops the last 5 years, and they are still overpriced.

HD1080P is much better then HD720P yes, and the good news is that you dont need the overpriced GV-600 card for that, you can use the overpriced NVR instead! Good luck!

JD

many other sites have a similar problem with ad revenue but usually they are able to obtain the ad revenue without the extreme censorship this forum often succumbs to

hi. i dont think you understand how advertising works. the forum gets nothing from links.

I do understand how advertising works. I run a blog and on blogs and forums you get ad revenue from the ad banners you allow people to have on your websites.

At CCTVforum, some people are saying that if we post links to great deals or sites that might be having a sale for instance, then the people paying for the ad banners feel cheated because instead of clicking on the ads, people are clicking on the informative user posted hyperlinks to get to sales\companies they have had good luck purchasing items from, etc. But this shouldn't matter. Most forums and websites aren't as overbearing when it comes to ad banners to the point that they would start removing links to sales and to websites that have lower priced items.

For instance. Let's say a small surveillance company was going out a business and selling everything at 30% below what every other company was asking. In that scenario, we should be able to post a link to the site so that other Geo enthusiasts could take advantage of the sale. But that would be frowned upon here. It shouldn't be that way however.

Let's say Amazon decided they were getting so many Geovision card returns that they decided to drop Geovision items from thier catalog and sold their remaining stock at a huge volume discount. If that happened, I don't think we could post the Amazon link here either. Not 100% certain on that though. Maybe they are fair game?

Edited by Guest

How do the rules on this privately-run forum have ANYTHING to do with the price of GeoVision cards???

Well, If someone was looking for a Geovision card, they might ask on the forum where they should order their card from. Then, someone would give them a link to go check out, and that person might go to the link, order the card, and then they would be paying a lower price than if they just started searching the net randomly.

But since we can't post those links, we can't help people get better deals on Geovision cards.

We should be able to have a top 10 Geovision purchase thread or something. You know, like a PriceWatch \ PriceGrabber for Geovision cards. And it could have reseller ratings and everything. That might be helpful to some people.

For instance, I'm in the market for a new card right now. I'd like to see how all the resellers stack up with each other and pick the best of the best for price and great service.

Scooby.

Do you realize the advertising that links get through search engines like google?

There are entire companies dedicated to just trolling forums and posting links.

There is software dedicated to it - forum poster being a popular one.

People get paid big bucks to manually sign up on forums and post links, therefore bypassing previous tries of stopping automated spam.

I ban daily, I delete links/posts/threads daily, it is how it is.

How do we pick who can post links to stores?

If everyone was allowed to post links, this would be another dead spam board on the Internet and would no longer exist for anything useful. Would you come to a forum full of spam??? Your PM inbox would be full of spam also. Seriously, you would not be here to deal with them, I would, Soundy would, not you .. if you are serious please send a PM to the Admin with your concerns, he has the last say.

We should be able to have a top 10 Geovision purchase thread or something. You know, like a PriceWatch \ PriceGrabber for Geovision cards. And it could have reseller ratings and everything. That might be helpful to some people.

Just use google, or goto Next Tag and type in the product number.

It already exists.

Scooby.

Do you realize the advertising that links get through search engines like google?

There are entire companies dedicated to just trolling forums and posting links.

There is software dedicated to it - forum poster being a popular one.

People get paid big bucks to manually sign up on forums and post links, therefore bypassing previous tries of stopping automated spam.

I ban daily, I delete links/posts/threads daily, it is how it is.

How do we pick who can post links to stores?

If everyone was allowed to post links, this would be another dead spam board on the Internet and would no longer exist for anything useful. Would you come to a forum full of spam??? Your PM inbox would be full of spam also. Seriously, you would not be here to deal with them, I would, Soundy would, not you .. if you are serious please send a PM to the Admin with your concerns, he has the last say.

I know many times items get through spam filters, my blog has one and I have to check it daily as well. But there is a difference from someone who just starts posting random sales links than from someone who has been on the site for over 7 years who might have a legitimate question about an item and just happened to post the first link to the item for a little info on it, as was the case in my hyperlink. I wasn't spamming anyone. I just had a question about an item I was interested in.

Just use google, or goto Next Tag and type in the product number.

It already exists.

It's not quite the same. Next Tag doesn't have reviews you could trust from others who use the product(s) as frequently as the members of this forum.