rory

Extending IR Remote for Dahua DVRs?

I have a wall, and the DVR is on the other side in a closet.

The IR remote wont go through said wall.

But if I can extend it, there is a small hole at the bottom of the wall and I can run a wire through that and put the extended IR on the next side in the bedroom.

I took the front of mine apart and doesnt seem to have any seperate cable.

The IR Eye is soldered to the front board, it has 3 pins.

I guess I could solder 3 new wires to it and extend that to some IR eye I get from Radio Shack?

Any ideas to make this easier?

Ever tried any IR extenders like those from Radio shack, and if so how did they work out?

THanks

I think an IR extender would work. All they should do is receive IR on one end and play it back almost instantly on the other end.

You could also just use some cat5 or something and extend those three pins, then stick the receiver anywhere you want.

Yeah I considered a mouse, but its for when they are in bed.

Ok so next option is an IR Repeater. Found something local for $100 but too much

Lots of them online, some for $40 or so.

Anyway Radio Shack has the IR Extender that I "Think" might do it. Thats if it will go through the wall.

So one of them at the DVR on one side of the wall, the other on the next side where the TV is. Its around $50 here. Might give that a try.

Buy from DealExtreme, several times, always use paypal. Here's one for you Rory-

[edit by mod-store link removed]

That is overkill for what he wants to do. They have just an IR repeater for $28.00. They also just opened a US warehouse so no more extended wait times, though that will not help Rory any. Ditto on the PayPal.

LOL thanks guys .. had to remove the link though but I got it thanks.

However decided late today that we are just going to extend the USB mouse for right now .. its really only for playback and when the power goes out and comes back on to switch it back from 9 way to 4 way.

But for the future now I Know

I'm using a USB wireless/optical mouse on a Dahua 4 ch HDMI (Dell M/N C-BG17-DUAL).

Over 20' range, though I have not yet tried a wireless Dell keyboard that may also work.

Nice forum BTW

I installed a radioshack one 6-7 years ago for a buddy, he had a stereo upstairs and ran some speakers into his basement and wanted control from his basement. We put the receiver part downstairs so he had something to point the remote at and the repeater part upstairs to blast the signal to the stereo.

It all worked well. I couldn't even begin to tell you the brand of what we put in though, and no reviews online look consistent for anything.