Sign in to follow this  
infowire

Picking Out a DVR

I was wondering if there is any DVR Review websites? I am trying to pick out a nice 16 Chan DVR for no more than $1200 that has a mobile viewing option.

All i was able to find was EH5216H and maybe Mace MVR-SQ160... or EverFocus ?

I'd say this is the place!!

I would suggest the Samsungs, but sounds like they are out of your price range:

http://www.samsung-security.com/en/products/video-recording-and-management/dvr/16-channel.aspx

Honestly, it sounds like $1200 is low for a 16-ch DVR that can do even just 7.5FPS per channel @ D1. I'd expect to pay ~$1200 for an 8-ch DVR that can do 30FPS per channel @D1...

The Avermedia DVR you suggested can do up to 15FPS per channel @D1. This will be fine for most all applications.

Honestly, it sounds like $1200 is low for a 16-ch DVR that can do even just 7.5FPS per channel @ D1.

Dahua is half that price retail

Any cons about it ? Like random reboots? I see the video lags a bit over the web in the youtube video but i assume that's normal for streaming video online, what about a locally hooked up monitor to the dvr does that lag(live view)? How is the iphone/android software for it ? UVIStar ? is that the same brand?

Hows tech support and warranty?

Looks like they do have it labeled as Dahua on this one:

http://www.uvistar.com/Dahua-DVR-DH-DVRXX04HE-T-VGA-HDMI-eSATA-and-USB2-0-full-D1-167.html

Thats mostly lag from the desktop capture at least in the case of the 2nd video

its streaming the main stream encoding which is 7fps D1.

But the video speed over the internet will depend on the bandwidth at the DVR and Remote sides,

local live video is real time.

On the standard DVR recording is 7fps D1 each channel or 30fps CIF each channel.

They have a real time D1 record DVR also.

No random reboots unless something goes bad like the hard drive, or you set it to reboot once a week.

Here is the Android DMSS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQGzF67F1Us

Search iTunes for iDMSS which is their latest for the iOS.

Ive installed it on both for clients, though I use a netbook and desktop myself.

Also a colleague uses a MAC to view his DVRs.

UVIStar ? is that the same brand?

Never heard of them.

But looks like a chinese company marketing various chinese brands.

Dahua is distributed under brands such as:

QVis, AData, XTS, EDGE, IC Realtime, MACE, GEN IV, Q-See

Q-see has a few different manufacturer that they have manufacture for them. Dahua has a budget 4 channel model that they make for Q-see but I dont think they make any of their high-end models for them.

Haven't used their DVR but I can say their cameras are great for the price.

yeah just watched some videos on you tube and they do look pretty darn good for 90$ a pop. DVR has good specs just not sure how their software is.

Do the Dahuas have a built in webserver? For example dos46.something.com, will route to my dvr so I can view on web?

I know there are services like dyndns, but that would require either a router to have dyndns capable (which I dont) or to have a pc on 24/7 so that the new WAP can update. I'd prefer a DVR to have this built in.

You can configure your DVR straight to DynDns if you wish. Its alot easier if you just have a router though because its a heck of a lot easier if you have a computer in the same network to setup remote viewing..

You can configure your DVR straight to DynDns if you wish. Its alot easier if you just have a router though because its a heck of a lot easier if you have a computer in the same network to setup remote viewing..

Excuse my ignorance on this subject.

I'm not sure what you mean by "You can configure your DVR straight to DynDns"

I was under the assumption that you needed a client to update DynDns whenever your ISP assigned you a new WAP IP address.

Can you elaborate for me? Is it possible for the Dahua to do this?

Your DVR would be the client as opposed to your router.

Your best bet is to have a router and have it configured for DynDns because you will need to configure port forwarding and you will need an onsite computer to verify that you have the DVR is networked properly.

Your DVR would be the client as opposed to your router.

Your best bet is to have a router and have it configured for DynDns because you will need to configure port forwarding and you will need an onsite computer to verify that you have the DVR is networked properly.

I guess I will have to purchase a router than enables this feature.

Thanks!

Most, if not all, routers will allow this.

Unfortunately, I use what Verizon FIOS supplies and it does not allow this feature. Router is Actiontec M1424WR.

Excuse my ignorance on this subject.

I'm not sure what you mean by "You can configure your DVR straight to DynDns"

I was under the assumption that you needed a client to update DynDns whenever your ISP assigned you a new WAP IP address.

Can you elaborate for me? Is it possible for the Dahua to do this?

hi. a few makers now have there own ddns service. i have not used the dahua service yet (i do have it here if you need the link)

but just like the aver one. log on enter ser No and its done http://ddns.avers.com.tw/

Unfortunately, I use what Verizon FIOS supplies and it does not allow this feature. Router is Actiontec M1424WR.

Are you 100% positive on this? I dont see why they would not allow you to set it up for a DDNS. Do you have a static IP with Verizon Fios? If not, I bet you could get one.

for this router you have to creat your DDNS though the service first .... then you input the account into the router ddns settings

the Actiontec M1424WR is a bit of an old router 5 years old might be worth upgrading