cmf21

Few problems with Samsung SHR-5162 DVR

I'm having a few problems with my Samsung shr-5162.

First problem is I'm trying to update the firmware but the dvr doesn't see any files on the usb drive to update. I have downloaded the zip file and have extracted it to a clean formated usb drive. All the files are there. When i plug the usb drive into the dvr it doesn't see any file available to update under the settings menu but the dvr know the usb drive is there as it shows up under storage devices. Anyone have a clue what's wrong. I'm I doing this wrong? The instructions in the manual doen't say anything besides going into the settings menu and running the update.

Second problem is when i plug a network cable into the back of the dvr, my linksys router doesn't have the dvr listed in the clients table. Any ideas? If I remove the cable and plug it into something else like a computer, the router see's it.

Hi

I have seen this many times before but this is a first for Samsung. DVR's appear to be USB specific. Some only recognise smaller drives (less than 1Gb) while others will only recognise FAT32 formating.

Try formating FAT 32 first or find an older smaller drive.

The 256mb drive was formated fat so I reformatted it to fat32 and plan on trying it the update this morning. I think that's what I had to do last year when we used a 16gb drive to make a backup but don't remember how it was formatted.

I'm still looking for ideas as to why my router can't see my the dvr. Any ideas anyone?

I got my router to see the dvr. The dvr was set up with a static ip address so i changed it to a dynamic ip and I was able to connect to the router. I can now access the dvr with the web viewer but I know have another problem. I was able to watch what the cameras were seeing for a few minutes before our local service provider decided to work on everyones internet connection. When the internet came back up, I can't see anything now except the words "video loss" on every camera. Any ideas?

I also still can't get the dvr updated with the firmware. It just doesn't see the files or something on the usb drive. I even called Samsung but they couldn't do any better then I. Once I get smart viewer installed, I'm going to try to update the dvr over the network.

Got the router and dvr working. i can now see video at home. in the routers menu, they had a couple of different port forwarding sections and I deleted all the information out of the first one which I believe was for single port fowarding or something like that. works great now.

I called samsung also but they couldn't get the dvr to take the firmware update from there end. i think I'm going to give up. i can't get it to work and neither could they. It say update complete but it also says failed. strange.