qman

E-mail backup

I got a customer that has me building him a server.

currently, his email is provided by his hosting company "fatcow.com"

What he wants is that the company's e-mail be downloaded into his company's server so that he can keep them there for as long as he wants. Basically, that he can check his e-mail and keep it in his laptop/desktop, but also have copies of those e-mails on his server. To make matter's worse, he travels a lot too. Any suggestions?

What kind of access to this fatcow site? SSH? Telnet? Webmail only? What kind of server? Windoze or Linux? FTP the mailboxes and TOC's daily perhaps?

What about setting up a filter in the email client (ie. Eudora) that auto-forwards received emails to the corresponding email acct on the co server (that just sits and not checked unless manual)... or forwarded to a blanket email such as root, nobody or mailadmin?

If Windoze and no SSH type access to this hosted site (which is not likely anyway since hosted)... install Eudora on this server and create as many personalities as needed... then setup the accts to check email regularly... but make sure to enable the 'leave mail on server' option for each personality.

Only prob I can think of with this option... is that the server is checking email and leaving on server for storage... and the client is checking email remotely at the same time and prob does not have the 'leave mail on server' option enabled. So some mail will never make it to the backup server.

Perhaps just do the email client filter as suggested. I dono, perhaps Tomas has some suggestions.

even with Outlook express you can do that ... leave email on server for a certain amount of days ... so his laptop and the main server download email every 5 minutes .. or whatever amount of time wanted ... yeah with multiple emails would be something like eudora .. or does outlook do mulitple emails too? (not express the full version) Thunderbird I think does it, at least Netscape used to.

Herm,

Dependent what he pays the hosting company, he can keep his e-mails with them for certain period of time and I think it is 30 days... and depends what he is paying for space....

However, if he wants his e-mails stored in his new Server, then why pay the hosting company if he can have it managed locally?

I can see 3 other options:

1.Linux version e-mail server - This is free and you can download and use immediately!

2.FreeBSD e-mail server - This is free and you can download and use immediately!

OR...

3.You can use IMAIL, which will cost over a $1,000 since it is Smindows based...

I personally prefer the FreeBSD mail server package... It is probably the most stable e-mail server package...

Levon

levon, can i run linux on the same PC as windows XP ..? I just got a 40Gb HDD for now to get my Iview PC back up as the old HDD failed (old 3 year old 30GB) ... nothing else but winxp SP1 is loaded right now so a good time to load linux would be now ..

Is it downloadable from the web, also, how do you install it? Does it use a floppy or CD, and dos commands or just installs? Can i install it from a jump drive also?

thanks

Rory

PS. we were talking about coming to Cali end of August, will let you know

Rory,

You can install Dual boot option which linux will provide...

Let me give you the download URL that you can download the software and install... Can you please give me the info on your processessor? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit? Dependent which one you have, there is a seperate download available in a CD format or DVD format..

Let me know.

Levon

Rory,

Can you download 3.1G of info and make ISO on DVD? This probably will be easiest solution...

If not, then download Mini-installation ISO and then pick and choose the applications of your choice, which I will guide you step by step... This is a basic ISO that installs the kernel and all its dependencies and it is only 64M in size... Once it is installed, then through YAST (Suse version is the easiest in the market) you can install all of the available applications one by one or by package of your choice...

It may sound or may seem difficult, but I can tell you is that it is extremely simple once you do it...

Levon

Hi Levon,

Not sure, its an AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 2.00 Ghz.

This PC doesnt have a DVD, but i do have broadband Cable.

Maybe we can continue via email .. thanks

Rory

whoops that is MY PC, not the Iview PC, which is a 1.7Ghz Celleron ..

I can do it on mine though, the Iview doesnt have a network card right now, thats another story for another day