infowire

CCTV Testing Tool

I am looking for a cheaper decent portable lcd to test cams out and adjust them with.

Any one bought any off ebay ? there are ones $50 - 300.

Search Amazon or eBay for "Haier", they have a number of portable LCD TVs and DVD players that will do the trick. Or find a cheap or used portable DVD player that has an A/V input (you have to look for this feature specifically, not all of them have it).

Hi i purchased this one off ebay for around £90 including postage

here is link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-8-LCD-Monitor-CCTV-Camera-Video-Test-Tester-PTZ-UTP-/280688733811?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415a5a2e73

This is 2.8" LCD tester, u can check cat5, ptz, test cctv, and adjust varifocal cctv easily when you are on a ladder, pm me if you require

any more info.

Reagrds,

Sajeel

I bought a brand new Digital Labs model DT191SA on ebay for dirt cheap. It has an audio/video input cable and with an RCA to BNC adapter plugged onto it, you can feed the security camera signal right into it. The tv has a 7" screen so it makes it easy to adjust the camera.

A great feature is a model that has 12vdc output. This will allow you to power your camera as well as view the video. This has come in handy a few times to troubleshoot a camera that wasn't working (i.e. is the camera bad, or do I have a bad connection somewhere on my power supply.)

MIne is a very common one 3.5" screen Cat5 tester, multimeter, colour bar generator and PTZ analyzer, 12v DC supply and bump resistant jacket. It apparently also has audio tester but I've never used that. It all comes in a carry bag which is padded and all the leads are there too with charger.

Very useful for setting up on screen menu settings, varifocal lenses and camera positioning.

I just wish the screen was a little larger but overal, it has saved me heaps of time and is one tool I couldn't do without. I paid around £200. with fast delivery over ebay. Best £200 I ever spent.

There is a cheaper version without the multimeter and some other functions.

172169_1.png

click the image to see the ebay item

Actually, this one doesn't look too bad for the money ebay item 200675674660

How do you guys use to position and focus IP cameras that don't have a local video ouput?

Netbook, WiFi router, Veracity PinPoint

I had already thought of using a wireless netbook but it's a bit difficult up a ladder isn't it? I;ll have to change my mobile phone then. I was looking at this item

172288_1.png

I had already thought of using a wireless netbook but it's a bit difficult up a ladder isn't it?

No more so than a 10"-ish LCD monitor. Netbooks tend to be very light. You could possibly go with a tablet PC as well (keeping in mind that most cameras will require the use of Windows at some point).

I was looking at this item

172288_1.png

Same idea as the PinPoint, which inserts in a PoE line and "splits off" a port for the laptop... except this includes a battery PoE supply. Neat idea, but I don't really get the point, since you'll have to power the camera for regular operation anyway, at some point. Might be handy in rare circumstances where you'll need to set the camera up and connect it without power and not be able to return to it after it's powered...

WiFi is really the most convenient if you're doing multiple cameras - just a basic, cheap N router, plug on of the LAN ports into your camera network, disable its DHCP server if necessary... move around freely to all the cameras whether they're PoE or direct powered. If you have a camera that doesn't require ActiveX or a Windows-based utility, you COULD even set it up from a smart phone or non-PC tablet (iPad, Android, etc.)

Thanks for that, I think I am going to have to give this some serious

consideration before I start spending more money on equipment.

I already have a netbook so I will see if I can utilize that somehow.

The biggest problem with using a laptop is the typical LCD screen gets washed out in sunlight. There are laptops with transflective screens that are easily viewable in sunlight, but they ain't cheap!

Another option is to throw a black blanket over your head and the laptop so you can see the screen.

I am looking for a cheaper decent portable lcd to test cams out and adjust them with.

Any one bought any off ebay ? there are ones $50 - 300.

I know this post is old but I too am in need of a monitor to adjust cameras while on a ladder. I just ordered this 7 inch portable tv that has rca inputs. The good thing is it has a rechargable battery so no power cord is needed. It should be in this week as this should be the last item I need on my equipment list.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sylvania-7-Portable-LCD-TV-SRT702A/12548058

My Digital Labs 7" portable tv also has a built in rechargeable battery. It has a 2 hour run time. it has worked out very well for me in adjusting/setting up cameras. Heck, I even use it to test out new cameras straight out of the box so I can be sure I don't have any D.O.A. cameras.

I use an RCA to BNC adapter on the end of the AV cable that comes with the tv.

Yes, very good investment. I was on ebay looking at a cctv tester tool that had a tiny 2.5" screen and a 12v dc output for the cameras. Im glad I didnt purchase it. Getting power to the cameras are not a problem I just need to adjust and focus them without getting off the ladder 100 times to go back inside to view it on the dvr or quad. The downside to a tool like that is if you have 24vac cams then it wouldnt power it anyway. Here is one on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TFT-LCD-MONITOR-COLOR-CCTV-Security-Surveillance-CAMERA-TESTER-TEST-12V-OUTPUT-/180741078547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1501fe13

Any smaller than 3.5" for a test monitor and you could develop a permanent squint. Even 3.5" is quite a struggle but you can mange with that. I manage fine but if I were bying again, i'd try and get a 5" screen or bigger.

It's very good to have a tester screen , as one of you has said I also use mine to test cameras straight out of the box so I never have any wasted time with DOA, but I have only ever found one DOA camera and one lens and they didn't come from a regular supplier.

Believe me when I tell you I used to be up and down the ladder like some demented Yo Yo before I had my tester for analogue cameras. now I am facing the same problem with IP CCTV unless I invest in further equipment.

Of course some IP cams have a BNC output too, but not that many.

Believe me when I tell you I used to be up and down the ladder like some demented Yo Yo before I had my tester for analogue cameras.

Lol!!!! Well put!! That's how I was last week. Please don't have a varifical lens you're tryna adjust!! Lol

Believe me when I tell you I used to be up and down the ladder like some demented Yo Yo before I had my tester for analogue cameras.

Lol!!!! Well put!! That's how I was last week. Please don't have a varifical lens you're tryna adjust!! Lol

Well it's either that or spreading grease on the ladder sides to make coming down a bit faster.

Finally got my 7 inch sylvania tv in from walmart. I must say it was a good investment. Only $49 bucks. Has a rechargable battery, ac charger and car charger.

tv1.thumb.jpg.95dcdf1d058ec4a0981a29ffb761d9a7.jpg

If this does what you need, then it's worth every cent that you paid. Looks like a nice piece of hardware.

You're exactly right!! I feel like I got every penny of my $49 buck back when I used it on my first job. Check out the link

DSC02892