kidsusuki

Cat 5 cable run CAT5 OR NOT TO CAT5

Hello,

Please forgive me if this is already out there. I tried searching and didn't find anything similar. I have been reading alot on running cat 5 cable for video, power and whatever else. Cat 5 cable can run video and power to 1000 feet but will this cause video distortion? And issues with power and video running inside the cable? I have run some camera at most 250 feet and others 100 to 150 feet both 12 vlt and 24 vlts with 24 vlts I doubled up on the power because of the distance and PTZ consuming more volts.

The environment that I'm working in is high voltage, metal and steel yard. After days of pulling information from them they tell me after the fact that theres high voltage electrical running in certain area.

Two questions:

whats the best type of cable to run in an environment like that?

And does cat5 have any known issues with running power and video in the jacket sleeve?

What prompted this was a salesman telling me that running cat 5 at long distance will cause video problems within the cat5. When asked about what cables to use he answers by telling me camera specs give answers.

I thought camera specs amp an A was................. just that. Amps will cause video distortion if running power and video in cat5.

I'm in disagreement.

Open for professional answers and not guestimates. Has anyone done long distance cat5 cable run in a high electrical environment?

Kid

Hello,

Please forgive me if this is already out there. I tried searching and didn't find anything similar. I have been reading alot on running cat 5 cable for video, power and whatever else. Cat 5 cable can run video and power to 1000 feet but will this cause video distortion?

Not inherently, although you may need to use at least one active balun at that distance.

And issues with power and video running inside the cable?

None. Induced noise would only come from AC power to start with, and using a balanced line over twisted pair allows the wiring to reject noise anyway.

I have run some camera at most 250 feet and others 100 to 150 feet both 12 vlt and 24 vlts with 24 vlts I doubled up on the power because of the distance and PTZ consuming more volts.

For any given power rating (wattage), you'll actually see half the current draw and half the voltage loss at 24V compared to 12V. Thus, it's MORE important to double up at 12V than at 24V. If your cameras support both, you should prefer 24V over 12.

The environment that I'm working in is high voltage, metal and steel yard. After days of pulling information from them they tell me after the fact that theres high voltage electrical running in certain area.

Two questions:

whats the best type of cable to run in an environment like that?

UTP with baluns are much less likely to have noise issues in this environment.

And does cat5 have any known issues with running power and video in the jacket sleeve?

No.

What prompted this was a salesman telling me that running cat 5 at long distance will cause video problems within the cat5. When asked about what cables to use he answers by telling me camera specs give answers.

He's either ignorant, or lying through his teeth.

I thought camera specs amp an A was................. just that. Amps will cause video distortion if running power and video in cat5.

Distortion, no... sufficient current can cause interference, but cameras don't draw enough current at enough voltage to be an issue... and again, the combination of twisted pair and balanced line inherently rejects induced noise.

Open for professional answers and not guestimates. Has anyone done long distance cat5 cable run in a high electrical environment?

I've run power and video together through about 800' of Cat5e still coiled in its box, in the process of testing an assortment of baluns... this did NOT cause an issue.

UTP will reject noise with video in the same way it does for data: because of the twisted wires, any noise that's induced in one wire will be induced equally in the other, and the two noise signals will cancel each other out (that's a grossly oversimplified description, but it should give you the basic idea).

cctvBalun-1.gif