jisaac

How big of hard drives do you normally provide?

Hey I have a question. What size hard drives do you guys generally provide with your dvrs? What is the minimum, average, and maximum you put in?

4 channel

8 channel

16 channel

I generally like to put in atleast 480 if it is anything above a 4 channel. Really because when I am trying to close them I will always get good amount of prospects to go ahead with the system if i can get them atleast a month record time. Even longer when on motion. I have put in 3 Terabytes before on one 16 channel dvr. Oh ya and that also is recording 30 frames per second per channel.

for 4 channel, I use 8ogb-120gb

for 8 channel, 120-160

for 16 channel, 200-`.5 terrabite

all depending on what the customer wants

From 40G to 1TB built in or more using external hard drive and it is regardless of the number of ports... depending on the application and the customer's requirement...

Most common DVR capacity for us is between 320G to 600G units and everything else below or above...

We mainly use embedded and only few systems are base on windows or linux...

We also recommend our customers to buy the systems with the least amount of hard drive space and if they have some computer knowledge, we assist them to add more hard drive capacity of their own, this way keep the overall costs lower... But sometimes, "you can take the horse to the water, but you can not force it to drink"

Levon

It should not matter how much hard drive space is there, it should be a question of how many days you want to record and calculate the storage needed. Customize the space needed for the application is the best practise. If the manufacturer can't calculate the storage needed based on quality, frame rate, motion, and image complexity they probably don't produce a good product.

As much as the customers budget permits. For a 4 channel I wouldn't go under 160, 9 channel 300~500, 16 channel 500~600

You dont want to sacrifice FPS or file size due to undersize drives.

Most stand alones are 30-60fps, except for some asian ones that claim higher fps in lower res.

I get 2 months recording with motion, with a StoreSafe 4 Channel 30pps 40GB DVR, Highest Quality, and Smart Motion Detection. Some food for thought. Not every DVR is made the same. Also, Im getting 6 months with 640GB, 10 cameras, and 10pps on each camera, 16ch Color Mux and DSR2000.

hard drive size is normally set by the requirements of the client. Some want a few days/weeks recorded and others require months. Once I ask the question I adjut the quote. Yes I have a "standard" size. I purchase the best value for that week and use them. Last few months the prices have been 160Gb and 300Gb hard drives based on sales and rebates.

Networked hard drives are still hard to get a good buy on but Maxtor's 300Gb works pretty good, can power off of the 12vdc camera power supply with no problems. You can also add more Gb via a USB connection on the Maxtor, which automatically manages it for you.

Most stand alones are 30-60fps, except for some asian ones that claim higher fps in lower res.

I get 2 months recording with motion, with a StoreSafe 4 Channel 30pps 40GB DVR, Highest Quality, and Smart Motion Detection.

Rory,

Now i'm sure if there's alot of motion from the chickens running around down there its gonna knock your storage time down.

these are office buildings open 8-6pm average .. mon - fri. Trust me no PC DVR or other stand alone has yet to match up the the time i get from motion recording on the GE DVRs ... they really are great in that area ... ofcourse they cost it too ..

we import all our chickens from america

Rory,

I can offer you a Rooster for the price of chickens

I concur - no problems with their DVRs. With the recent SDVR series, man, it is good stuff.. May seem costly, but is it??? With 3 years warranty and it works!

I'd like to see DM try (and I am sure it will fail) to match up at any level

Levon