Sign in to follow this  
ssnapier

cameras on a helicopter??

Anyone ever done this? I have been asked to "develop some ideas and quotes" to do this for a local police agency. My first question is what power do most helicopters use, and what systems are considered both user friendly and reliable. I am going to do my own research, but I figured a post here might not be a bad idea.

hi. i have not done a helicopter but have done UAVs.

about 2 years ago we were invited to view a new police helicopter via one of our suppliers.

just a few points to look at before you quote.

you are looking at over 100k - 200k just in camera // zoom/giro/ thermal / GPS location / microwave /stability control / and a few million candle power light (mirror camera position)

and if you get that far you then have to have the helicopter manufacturer or avionics engineer fit it. which is about another 20k.

My first question is what power do most helicopters use,

everything added to a helicopter is self powered . nothing is taken from the aircraft.

you are looking at over 100k - 200k just in camera // zoom/giro/ thermal / GPS location / microwave /stability control / and a few million candle power light (mirror camera position)

and if you get that far you then have to have the helicopter manufacturer or avionics engineer fit it. which is about another 20k.

The choppers we are doing already have the giant spot lights in place... so that is the good news.

everything added to a helicopter is self powered . nothing is taken from the aircraft.

ummmm.... huh?? so everything needs to be battery powered??

The choppers we are doing already have the giant spot lights in place... so that is the good news.

hi if they only have a standard spot. then that will be a problem. camera and light are control linked. what ever the light does the camera does /// what ever the camera does the light does.

ummmm.... huh?? so everything needs to be battery powered??

battery and or generator backup.

very interesting, that changes things quite a bit! what sort of batteries run those giant spotlights? I clearly need to do a lot more research on this subject.

Hiya ssnapier.

I can't promise anything but I work in the airline business and I have a few buddies of mine flying the giant eggbeaters. I will see if I can get any info about. One sure thing is that any Mod has to be certified for the airworthiness of the craft unless there is some rule to differ it that I am not aware of