ssnapier

I need a fixed camera with an optical zoom, does it exist??

I have been asked to find a fixed camera (he said a dome, but I doubt it needs to be a dome) that can zoom in and out with a REAL optical zoom. Does such a thing exist? If so please point me in the right direction, if not is there just no demand for this type of product?

I have been asked to find a fixed camera (he said a dome, but I doubt it needs to be a dome) that can zoom in and out with a REAL optical zoom. Does such a thing exist? If so please point me in the right direction, if not is there just no demand for this type of product?

hi. CNB box cameras are a good price. ZBN-20Z18/ZBN-21Z18

I would assume you need this to zoom by remote control? Yes, they exist - in fact, I have one sitting here on my desk. There certainly are remote-operable varifocal lenses as well... they're generally used with cameras in PTZ enclosures, but they don't HAVE to be.

But yes, they are rare, as the ability to zoom in and out on one fixed spot is of limited usefulness - if you need higher detail on that one spot, it's usually more efficient to just zoom the lens on it and leave it there. What happens if you have a wide shot and something happens just off-center that you want to zoom on? You can't - you can only zoom on that one central point.

http://www.cnbusa.com/en/html/product/product_list.php?maxx=1&midx=1

This customer wants to be able to zoom in and out on his cash register. I tried to convince him that a PTZ was a better option, but he is deadset on a fixed camera. Thanks for the recommendations... my next question is and POS overlay. How tough is it to accomplish, and what hardware/ software would be involved? This will be the only camera in the facility (for now), but I anticipate a few more being added over the next year. I would estimate no more than 10 cameras, probably 5 or 6 total.

This customer wants to be able to zoom in and out on his cash register. I tried to convince him that a PTZ was a better option, but he is deadset on a fixed camera. Thanks for the recommendations...

Once again, if he wants a clear, tight shot of the register, he's probably best to just have a fixed camera with a standard varifocal lens, adjusted to the appropriate view, and just left there. Being able to zoom in and out remotely just increases the chance that he'll miss detail on something important if he zooms out and then gets distracted, leaving it on a wider shot. If he wants a wide overview shot, the best option is simply to have a second camera. Or use a megapixel camera that can get the wide shot and still have the detail on the register.

my next question is and POS overlay. How tough is it to accomplish, and what hardware/ software would be involved? This will be the only camera in the facility (for now), but I anticipate a few more being added over the next year. I would estimate no more than 10 cameras, probably 5 or 6 total.

Something like this should do... PROVIDING the POS supports data output in some form:

http://www.honeywellvideo.com/products/ias/da/pr/125775.html. SmartPIT will work with serial or network feeds and can re-output the raw and/or filtered data for logging on supporting DVRs. Honeywell will also create a custom filter file if you need one for your POS, no extra charge, and very quick turnaround (they had one for me for a Squirrel system in less than an hour). It comes with a wide variety of serial cables and adapters as well - if your POS has a serial output, this unit should have everything you need for it in the box.

Personally, I prefer a DVR that can log the POS data, because that makes it actually searchable, something you can't do with video overlay.

You know what, it's so long ago that we last put one in, I really don't remember... a quick google search shows them going for $550-$600 at most online stores. Seems to me its much more basic and limited predecessors cost twice that the last time we got one of those, two or three years earlier.

Far more flexible and powerful, based on what little info there is on your link... the SuperCircuits unit, you have to tell them what register you're using so they can pre-program it (or maybe they have different models in stock - either way, it sounds like once you have it, it's only good for that one brand of register).

And it appears the SC box is programmed through the front panel, probably watching the OSD... the SmartPIT can be programmed via the built-in LCD, or via a web interface. The Honeywell unit can be not only user-programmed, but user-customized... or you can have Honeywell create custom filter files based on your register's output, AFTER it's installed and running (ie. great factory support, probably a lot better than you'd get with SC). It also works with some IP-attached devices, particularly ATMs, and can re-output the filtered text data.

Doesn't look like the SC box comes with anything extra, either - the SmartPIT includes various serial cables and adapters that should let you connect to just about anything with a serial output.

Considering the SmartPIT is probably very close to the same price... sure seems like you get a lot more for the money.

Considering the SmartPIT is probably very close to the same price... sure seems like you get a lot more for the money.

Agreed, you rock... this is seriously valuable information, thanks!

In fairness, I'm basing the comparison strictly off what little the SC site lists for their unit... vs. personal experience with the SmartPIT... but I can say, the SmartPIT is a really nice unit and it seems they thought of everything, including what to pack in the box with it... and again, their support is (or was, at the time) truly outstanding - I made one call to the listed general number, and got a tech who gave me his direct line and email, and always answered emails within minutes. When I needed the filter file tweaked for the Squirrel POS, I sent him the capture data, and had a reply within an hour (actually, might have even been within half an hour). You can't put a price on that kind of support.