SmallBusinessUser

Highest Res and Quality From 8 Camera System Under $5,000?

buh buh buh but Avigilon says that it its exported at 720x480 resolution so why isnt it producing a D1 image. Could it be that the holy grail of Surveillance companies are a bunch of liars when it comes to their specifications? Or maybe we should we call them up and ask them to change that spec to "D1 give or take a few pixels" or "almost D1 but not quite"

Of course I am being sarcastic when I say this and I had to reply to your post "I think your starting to figure it out" with a friendly jab right back at you.

But it does bring up a point. After I did my test, I think my test passed the horizontal resolution test but failed the vertical test so I agree that it wasnt a full certified D1 image so there is no doubting that, but it was pretty darn close to D1 and not far off by any means. So what should these DVR manufacturers (and encoder manufacturers) call this specification?

I still want to see what a D1 IP camera looks like on this test. My guess is that it will probably look better than an analog camera due to being purely digital but I'll bet that its not significant. But I'd like to see one just in case so lets see one. And when we do this test, can we not put a 5mp image and compare it to a 480p analog image. Thats like comparing a Ferrari to a Civic I think its pretty well agreed that a megapixel image is better than an analog image so there is no reason to beat that dead horse anymore.

I still want to see what a D1 IP camera looks like on this test. My guess is that it will probably look better than an analog camera due to being purely digital but I'll bet that its not significant. But I'd like to see one just in case so lets see one. And when we do this test, can we not put a 5mp image and compare it to a 480p analog image.

Ah-hah... I think we may be approaching the truth! Question: how many analog cameras are actually providing a PROGRESSIVE image? I've only ever dealt with one (that I can remember) that actually had an option to switch to progressive output, and that was a Pelco IS90. If a camera is using a standard interlaced scan, then the vertical resolution of the DVR is really being wasted at D1, and whether the vertical grid on the test image appears properly or not is a factor of the camera, NOT the DVR.

I still want to see what a D1 IP camera looks like on this test. My guess is that it will probably look better than an analog camera due to being purely digital but I'll bet that its not significant. But I'd like to see one just in case so lets see one. And when we do this test, can we not put a 5mp image and compare it to a 480p analog image.

Ah-hah... I think we may be approaching the truth! Question: how many analog cameras are actually providing a PROGRESSIVE image? I've only ever dealt with one (that I can remember) that actually had an option to switch to progressive output, and that was a Pelco IS90. If a camera is using a standard interlaced scan, then the vertical resolution of the DVR is really being wasted at D1, and whether the vertical grid on the test image appears properly or not is a factor of the camera, NOT the DVR.

Would you agree that your PROGRESSIVE camera still has NTSC interlaced output ?

lets see some D1 IP images under this test? Who is up to the challenge?

I only have one d1 IP camera and it is a PTZ and its for sale...lol

I will try it with the 5MP cropped.

Here is a 2MP Avigilon camera.

168184_1.jpg

Cant you adjust the cameras output to D1 or VGA? Dont most IP cameras have an option to lower the resolution settings for bandwidth issues?

I appreciate the megapixel images, but in order to correctly test those, we would need a correctly sized chart instead of a 720x480 chart. For example, your 2MP image that you just posted would need a chart the size of 1920 x 1080 to correctly test or wherever abouts the image output resolution the camera is set at. I would hope the a 2MP camera can see the lines of a 720x480 image

I tested this chart on my Acti IP 4201 Camera which was set at 640x480 over the weekend and it didnt come anywhere close to the quality of the Analog picture I posted. To be fair, I even moved the picture closer to the camera to account for the 640 cropped horizontal pixels and it didnt really matter. Holy compression! I just got this Acti in the other day and once I find out how to post screen shots I will but it didnt look good. I realize this is not one of the best out IP cams out there.

But the point has been made that Analog doesnt give out an exact 720x480 image. Until I am proven wrong by an image of an IP camera set at 720x480, I will have to say that the same is true with IP. Guily until proven innocent.