lupy

How much voltage can a DC IR camera take??

My cameras all work with 9v, and cameras function pretty good. I guess 9v is the most adopted criteria.
Actually, it's the least popular operating voltage. 12VDC is probably the most popular, with 24VAC next most. In some areas of the world, they still often use 220/240VAC.

BTW, there are some good ready-made regulator boards out there... we use these two regularly (sorry for the sales link, this is the only listing I could find for them): http://www.electronicproductonline.com/ ... rers_id=85

Supports up to 32V AC or DC input, has jumpers for fixed outputs at 6, 12 and 24VDC, as well as an adjustable output of 2 to 24VDC. This is the 1A version:

And the 3A model:

Cool Source! Thanks!

Actually, I just had a look at the power supply boards in Soundy's link and they look like really good value. I would buy a few myself, but I suspect postage to Oz would make them uneconomical.

Doesn't hurt to check, I suppose... that's not the only place to get them, either (we get them off-the-shelf from our local ADI warehouse), that's just the only pictures I've found of them online.

They are a great value, though - out of hundreds installed, we've only ever had a few of them fail, and it's usually related to things like power surges or being jammed in a tight space with no ventilation (and a couple to another installer under-spec'ing and using a 1A board where they should have used a 3A). They're really solid and versatile little units.

Been busy a while, and though I would post an update, looks like the thread has taken on a life of it's own.

As I understand that style of reg, it would require a voltage drop across the reg. The wall wart supply I have runs the camera at nite at a somewhat low, but usable 10.5 or so volts. Using a reg would drop the voltage a little more, requiring buying a different supply. Also, I had the Zener laying around, so it was a zero cost option. It seems to be working fine, though last week the neighbor dropped a tree on the line and then cut it in half with a chain saw.....

He's a nice guy, but a little clumsy.

Luckly I put a 1 amp fuse in the power supply line so nothing was damaged. I just spliced the cat5, replaced the fuse and i'm back in business.

The heat from the LED's at night seem to be attracting spiders though, I have had to clean webs several times already, something I never saw with non led cameras.

As far as running a proper thick wire, I just don't want to go with the expense or pain of running another 5-600ft of wire through the stickers and such.

Actually, it's the least popular operating voltage. 12VDC is probably the most popular, with 24VAC next most. In some areas of the world, they still often use 220/240VAC.

Yeah, frankly, I don't have sophisticated knowledge in this camera field. I just know a little based on my experience. Anyway, thanks for what you share.