pilotg2

New CCTV system for "particular" friend

Hello to all, i'm new around here and from the UK

A friend has just brought a new flat and asked me to kit it out with CCTV in the next few weeks, then while the renovations are taking place they can hide the cables etc... He is a great friend but very fussy. He remotely accesses CCTV installed in his 3 properties, which i have seen and the quality is not that great, bearing in mind viewing via the internet. Anyway i'd like to install a good/better than the rest CCTV system that will only be viewed remotely via the internet for 6 months of the year. The rest of the time the property will be empty.

Is it worth going for an HD system if only viewing remotely?

The requirements:

DVR with remote viewing, easy menus and via Blackberry Bold 9900

4 indoor camera's required with varifocal lenses (so i can on the fly setup each room)

Night vision

Budget around £500, including all accessories, cables, etc but could go up to £1000

Any recommendations for good quality reliable equipment will be much appreciated, perhaps one good midrange camera/dvr and a top spec system within £1000 budget to compare would be really ideal. I don't know where to start!

Thanks

ebay!

dont be shocked, i buy ALL my cameras, PIRs, DVRs, etc from ebay. most (but not all) are second hand.

just because they are second hand, does not mean they are sh!t. just means they are not factory fresh. usually they are taken from buildings due to be demolished, or if shops have closed down or whatever.

just dont outbid me on anything

each of my cameras i have won for about £35, new from factory they would be around £150 so huge savings!

New CCTV system for "particular" friend

with your budget give ebay a miss. (no warranty) and your friend will only have to buy twice.

Aver nano 4 is in your budget along with some small 650 tvl sony effio-E cameras.

I'd use eBay for myself but with this purchase i'd like to have good hardware backup as if a unit were to fail i'd like to be able to easily sort a replacement in a few days.

Thanks i'll have a look at that DVR and Sony cams.

Any other suggestions, if possible i'd like to get it all from one shop?

Not that i really know what i'm looking at but comparing the specs to other DVR the Avermedia Averdigi EH1004H-4 NANO Hybrid seems amazing. This may sound like a stupid question but is it proven to be a reliable piece of kit, i've never heard of them before.

For shopping from ebay, you can have a small trail order to test the seller is good or not, and then go ahead or walk away to find a better one.

I've been a 'professional' at this a long time. But having a system in my house was always on my to-do list, but never done. I purchased q-see 4 channel dvr on ebay with 500GB for 115 bucks US shipped.

It took some hunting, and a lot of product review, but it's out there.

and the dvr works great!

Good Luck!

(And stick with ccd chip cameras, inexpensive cmos cameras tend to not be as nice)

Do you have the case and rest of bits required?

Shout if you need anything or SW for it i have loads i used to repair these

JPEG2000 still puts lot new dvrs to shame on playback pity about the file sizes

i have the case, the only thing it does not come with is HDDs. but i am going to use some from a broken DVR

iknow nothing about this dvr, is it good? i'm wondering weather to use it as a backup for the 8 main cameras that go into my 15ch dvr, or to sell it. what d'ya think?

As I know, generally, there are 8 channels on the screen at the same time. Haven't checked any 16 channels at the same time yet.