seancctv

Resolution and TVL's, what spec Camera to buy

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on a query of mine,

To my knowledge getting a camera that of resolution 540tvl and recorder that only records at CIF would be a waste, My question is if I purchase a recorder that records at D1 per Camera what spec should go for to utilize this i.e would 700tvl be a waste of a camera or would something like 540tvl produce the maximum image quality.

Any knowledge would be great.

I have been told for not a reliable source that using CIF dvr recorder the max camera resolution you should go for is 48tvl, and D1 is 540tvl,

Can anyone confirm this and point me in the direction of what to look for regarding stats when purchasing a dome vandal proof camera? thanks

D1 is 720x480, or 4CIF is 704x480

The camera's effective pixels for a 480-650TVL camera is typically 768x494 pixels (NTSC), though this may vary from one camera to the next - the specs for the camera should specify this.

Current 700TVL cameras are typically Sony Effio 960H which is 976x494 effective pixels (NTSC)

D1 would therefore obviously not cover the 960H camera completely - there are DVRs now that will record 960H however they are still rare at least on the US side of the globe.

CIF is 352x240 - therefore recording a 480-700TVL camera at that resolution you are losing alot of quality.

Even a 380-420TVL is typically 510x492 total effective pixels, so recording those in CIF (352x240) can lose alot of quality also - however that is useful for smaller less important areas.

If you are looking for a new camera, perhaps look at 700TVL cameras, if anything they will be ready for the newer 960H DVRs that may eventually come down in price and become more popular - right now though 550TVL-600TVL is the common camera. Most budget cameras I use are still 420TVL, lowest price on the market.

540TVL would be old technology.

Sources:

http://www.ktnc.co.kr/english/portal.php

http://www.cnbtec.com/en/html/product/product_list.php?maxx=1

Ofcourse, then there is Megapixel.

That's for another thread though

If you are looking for a new camera, perhaps look at 700TVL cameras, if anything they will be ready for the newer 960H DVRs that may eventually come down in price and become more popular - right now though 550TVL-600TVL is the common camera. Most budget cameras I use are still 420TVL, lowest price on the market.

But it seemed not too likely that the prices of those DVR are gonna drop and popularity rise in the next 1-2yrs right?

If that is so .. then wouldn't it be more feasible to use a 600TVL and wait for the the warranty to expire before deciding on the next step? For all we know MP IP cams may have fallen so much in price by then .. anyway that's just my 2 cents .. .. anyone else like to share their views on this?

Hi Rory. So have you seen what these 900 TVL cameras look like on screen?

From the CCD dimensions, they must be a widescreen format. Not quite 16:9, but wider than 4:3. Does the image appear squeezed on a 4:3 display?