ssnapier

Are there any POE powered cameras that exceed 4 watts?

I know I can scour the interwebz and get this answer, but I was hoping to save a bit of time. I know that Mobotix stuff is 3-4 watts and most of the Axis stuff is as well, but are there any other cameras out there that use something other than POE class 1?

EDIT: Ok, so it would appear to me that most of the cameras that have an IR ring around the lens are rated at POE Class 3, that is interesting.

Let me change up my original question a bit.... how much planning do you put into your systems when it comes to POE and have you ever used or not used a particular camera or device based on it's POE rating?

I know I can scour the interwebz and get this answer, but I was hoping to save a bit of time. I know that Mobotix stuff is 3-4 watts and most of the Axis stuff is as well, but are there any other cameras out there that use something other than POE class 1?

EDIT: Ok, so it would appear to me that most of the cameras that have an IR ring around the lens are rated at POE Class 3, that is interesting.

Let me change up my original question a bit.... how much planning do you put into your systems when it comes to POE and have you ever used or not used a particular camera or device based on it's POE rating?

On a hunch I looked at PTZ and sure enough, Axis 5534-E is rated at 30W max, using 802.3at

While I haven't done any POE yet, I will next year. I will for sure be looking at power levels.

It's a good idea to check not only what the individual camera requirements are but what the total potential draw is and to make sure that your switch can handle it.

802.11af specs up to 15.4W/ch. so that will actually be fine for probably 99% of the cameras out there (the Axis PTZ noted above being one of a few exceptions).

You will want to check the switch's specs as well though, as some will only do full power on some channels... the Cisco switches we're using, for example, will do 15.4W on up to four channels, or 7.5W on all eight.

yeah, we use the Fortress ES-520 for a lot of stuff and that is limited to 36W total, or 16W per pair of ports (8 ports total). With Mobotix cameras I can use all 8 ports, but with some others I have to pay attention.

A number of cameras I've come across are recognized as class 0, which means they could be anywhere from .44 to 12.95 watts.

If the switch does not actually sense the wattage draw, it will assume full wattage draw from the camera, and may only allow a lower number of cameras per switch than what could actually be on the switch if the cameras represented their draw accurately.

How hard is it to pull a 18/2 along with the utp cable? Just sayin.

It's another cable, another termination, more cost, more parts, etc.

I've also found PoE to be more resilient to voltage drops.

Why run an extra wire when there is no need?

How hard is it to pull a 18/2 along with the utp cable? Just sayin.

exactly.

but there are some very lazy installers out there who also would rip the client on overpriced junk that cant see at night and then still cry about installing a cheap piece of 18/2 cable.

Rory that is very true.

if I needed to really light something up I wouldn't depend on a camera to do it. I would have IR devices that are designed for the job. Any camera that is going to depend on POE to power the IR can't be that serious about actually seeing something in the dark.

Not to mention sending high current over 300 feet on 24ga wire.

Do you put a POE camera in a housing and expect the POE to power the heater blower?

168623_1.jpghttps://www.ccixpress.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&productId=38668&langId=-1&channel=%24&customer=&

Kind of a kludge if you don't really need it, though. Personally, I'd just get a better switch.....

If you're going to install a camera outside in a place where it gets cold, this is the way to go. POE just won't do it for heaters. But if it's indoor, try to come up with a better camera/switch combination.