FlameOut

Differences in baluns

I know a lot of you guys are tired of the dumb questions, and I'm more than guilty of asking a few. I recently bought a 4 channel system, and decided to just run cat5e cables in conduit underground to my detached garage which is about 10' from my house. I want to have two external cams on the garage and one internal (no audio). Will one run of cat5 handle that?

Also, it seems like all of the baluns I find are for the RJ45 connector. Aren't there any that have the BNC and power and I can just attach the twisted pair, or am I better of using the RJ45 connectors? Also, as far at the cat5 cable, is there any brand better than others? I know to stay clear of the copper clad aluminum, but not all I've been looking at state of it's all copper, or copper/aluminum

I was hoping for something like this, but where I can just attach the wires directly to the bauln

168539_1.jpg

Or can I just use this combo for power and video?

168539_2.jpg

blnmtl2-1.jpg

RJ45 crimped cables better for stable connectivity.

also run independent cables for better power/current transmission.

Any wire will do(copper/Aluminum)

the second option (balun+power jack) will end up in loose connections.

Choice is yours now:-)

I know a lot of you guys are tired of the dumb questions, and I'm more than guilty of asking a few. I recently bought a 4 channel system, and decided to just run cat5e cables in conduit underground to my detached garage which is about 10' from my house. I want to have two external cams on the garage and one internal (no audio). Will one run of cat5 handle that?

One run of Cat5 will allow up to four video signals... however, you'll need to either run separate wire for the power, or power the cameras locally (ie. power supply in the garage, which is what I'd recommend in this case).

Also, it seems like all of the baluns I find are for the RJ45 connector. Aren't there any that have the BNC and power

Of course there are, you have pictures of them below It's more a matter of what your chosen supplier(s) carry. If they can't order the ones you want, maybe you should shop somewhere else

BTW, I use the GEM BLN-MTL2 extensively; they work well, and they're compact enough to fit inside most camera housings and enclosures.

and I can just attach the twisted pair, or am I better of using the RJ45 connectors?

This is really a matter of personal preference...

RJ45 crimped cables better for stable connectivity.

Assuming you make stable RJ45 crimps... some people are more skilled at assembling these things than others.