Guys,

I know that everyone is always talking about DVR resolutions using terminology words, descriptions, a lot of marketing hype and somehow, everything has something to do with IPS or FPS of the DVR resolutions....

It will be very interesting to know what is everyones take on the knowledge for the difference between FPS vs. IPS verbiage...

Levon

The confusion isn't so much between IPS and FPS, its that FPS is being used to describe both fields and frames per second. If you ask someone who has used the term FPS if they mean fields or frames per second, for the most part they have a puzzled look on their face and say "whats the difference"

Doug

Guys,

I know that everyone is always talking about DVR resolutions using terminology words, descriptions, a lot of marketing hype and somehow, everything has something to do with IPS or FPS of the DVR resolutions....

It will be very interesting to know what is everyones take on the knowledge for the difference between FPS vs. IPS verbiage...

Levon

There is now (4) different ways someone can describe DVR resolutions...

1. FPS - (Frames Per Second)

2. FPS - (Fields Per Second)

3. IPS - (Images Per Second)

4. PPS - (Pictures Per Second)

Looks like we are making headways...

Levon

Data, great observations man... You can ask anyone if they know the differences, if any, between these keywords, most of them will look at you with a puzzled face..

What is very interesting when you read specs from DVR manufacturers, they use these terminology keywords and to really put them on the spot, I ask them to explain and they all give me, well a very dirty look...

I am still curious G22's explanation for DPS (Dongles Per second)

Levon

Most companies tell you they are all the same. There is some truth in that, as it is very difficult for the eye to notice the difference.

well frames and fields are different, goes back to old school stuff. Pictures per second is same as images per second. eg, a picture = a image .. i would imagine a frame = a image also ... field .. dont know about that.

A 'frame' is made up of two interlaced 'fields'.

With 30 fps (frames per second) made up of 60 fps (fields per second) for NTSC, EIAJ and

25 fps (frames per second) made up of 50 fps (fields per second) for PAL, SECAM and CCIR in real time.

That's the 'old school' explanation.

IPS (Image per second) and PPS (picture per second) are just common terms used by the general.

FPS (frame per second) is a more precise and professional term. There is odd and even field together to make a frame.

When the frame size is small, there is no difference between FPS and IPS because one field can form an image.

FPS is less used as field per second, only if the frame size is small enough.

Yes, one still can say there is no difference among all these terms, only if the frame size is small.

You have to be very carefull when reading those specs, IPS is a lot different to FPS, the reason is that there are actually 2x IPS to every FPS, it takes two images to make a frame, they are overlayed together and interlaced, hence why on some cheaper DVR's especially in PAL sizes, see a tearing effect when large fast moving objects are onscreen.

some DVR's offer a software remedy for example Geo has 640x480 and 640x480SW (Software Interlace).

In truth most manufacturers don't cheat and therefore the terminolgy of IPS is the Same as FPS, but some do!

geo has 720x480 now dude you been away from the mother ship for too long

btw im using PC based now cause its cheaper

and with the right card, real time record speed.

btttw, geo has the worst remote video ive ever seen with the cards ive usedc so far ... bestest local video foe sure though ... , but i made a customised version if interested..