tsc757

Best DVR for security cameras. AverMedia or Digimerge?

First thing I think most here would recommend is revising either your budget, or your expectations. You'd probably be looking at *starting* at $600-$800 for a *decent* standalone DVR like a Digital Watchdog or something... cameras not included.

Hi there, don't want to hijack your thread but what would you suggest for a standalone dvr which is good quality and simple to use with WiFi support and Iphone use for around 600 to 800 $ ?

ie. I have been comparing AVERDIGI EB1304NET, Digimerge DH204501 which seems to be what security installers prefer in Montreal area. I can find the swann, lorex, and Q-see systems that include a DVR at most large retail stores but my little guy inside tells me to Stay away. ?!

Thanks

Hi there, don't want to hijack your thread but what would you suggest for a standalone dvr which is good quality and simple to use with WiFi support and Iphone use for around 600 to 800 $ ?

ie. I have been comparing AVERDIGI EB1304NET, Digimerge DH204501 which seems to be what security installers prefer in Montreal area. I can find the swann, lorex, and Q-see systems that include a DVR at most large retail stores but my little guy inside tells me to Stay away. ?!

Thanks

Check out the Dahua DVRs (eg QVis)

No wifi though, will have to add that separate

Has Network built in ofcourse.

Supports most smartphones.

Hmm I've checked out a few Dahua's and found a few to be around the $190 worth.... some at $300 and up. Would those be considered as cheap ? Also looking deaper in the Digimerge, I found something that kinda linked digimerge with lorex (are they same brand under diff names?)

If I rephrase the question. What should I look for in a good DVR and what software is a good DVR software, perhaps the software will make a price difference ? I forgot to say I was looking at putting 3 to 4 cams on my system.

Hmm I've checked out a few Dahua's and found a few to be around the $190 worth.... some at $300 and up. Would those be considered as cheap ? Also looking deaper in the Digimerge, I found something that kinda linked digimerge with lorex (are they same brand under diff names?)

If I rephrase the question. What should I look for in a good DVR and what software is a good DVR software, perhaps the software will make a price difference ? I forgot to say I was looking at putting 3 to 4 cams on my system.

Its an inexpensive DVR with alot of features.

I use one myself, I like it. Like everything it has its cons.

But the price is right.

They have budget units and not so budget units, although almost all of their DVRs are "cheap" in price compared to others.

The budget units for example have VGA only and no HDMI, plus a few less audio and alarm inputs for example.

QSee actually sold one of their budget units under their names.

Dahua DVRs are resold under dozens of names in the US.

Prices can vary considerably.

I switched to using them when I found out that they actually work for so little money.

In the not so distant past, inexpensive DVRs were nothing but headaches and had very little features, but today things have changed and Dahua is not the only one pouring resources into lower priced units.

You will have to decide for yourself, if you like building computers then perhaps THAT is the route you want to go. For me, having gone from years of using expensive Kalatel standalone DVRs to then GeoVision PC DVRs, and now to Dahua Standalones - I switched back as I can install them in just a few minutes, while otherwise It could be 1-2 days build and setup for the GeoVision - although you can buy them ready made and tested. Here it is difficult to find the right PC parts for a GeoVision DVR these days as well, and if one can find them they can be 10x the cost of the US. So the old idea of being able to maintain the parts easily has now gone out the window for me. Plus clients here in general just arent paying the service to build a PC DVR anymore - they want it in, and right now.

Dont get me wrong, if I had quick access to the right PC parts and the DVR cards, I would have no issue building a PC DVR again, although I am certain I would still set priority to the standalone DVR, since now it does what most clients need. I recall just a couple years back, Avtech was the level of Dahua, pricewise, and those were low quality and literally HELL to deal with. In fact I dealt with an Eclipse Plex Standalone DVR today after an armed robbery incident and It once again felt like pulling teeth.

So as mentioned, its up to you. In my experience recording quality and search features can be better with a PC based DVR system - with standalones the pros I found were less current draw (eg. 25watt), small size (eg. 1U), and more resistance to heat (eg. installed in a hot closet in the tropics). With the Geo systems for example it got to the point that more time was spent on worrying about proper cooling than actually making money.

And yes, software for PC and Standalones make a difference in price, more time perfecting the DVR software can cause the price to be higher. Although I must day Dahua keeps their price down low for something that works well.

I have been comparing AVERDIGI EB1304NET

Hi 1304 has not been made for 3-4 years so it will be old stock and old software so iphone app will not control.

the aver Nano 4 is a very good hybrid if you want to upgrade your cameras later. full iphone comp with playback and record from ipad / iphone

Well thank you both for all the info. Seem like the closer I get to choosing the more confused I get lol .

I will look into the Dahua a little more as of Monday. As of now the Nano from avermedia sounds good although I saw a few posts where some technical issues cam up. I do like the fact that I can use the eh1000h-4 with either ip or analog cams though.

I found the nano-4 for about $400 and received a few other quotes offering me a Digimerge DH104501 for $400 also or the DH204501 at $485.

Also am I better off with Cat5E and Balun or BNC.

For what you said rory about building computers, I've done that and these days I rather go simple installation. I've got so many other things to do that I rather get a plug and play type dvr. I did look in geovision 600-4 and mix IP cams and analog but I don't want to use my computer as it consumes way more power than a dvr and they would probably end up leaving with the computer anyways if they broke in

Aright... got to run after the kids..

Digimerge DH104501 for $400 also or the DH204501 at $485.

both have low specs infact the cheaper is better than the $485. as its best is only cif and on both you would need to add extra hard drive space. so add another $80.

if you dont need play back on your android or ip later then the dahua is much better than Digimerge

So down to 2 the aver or dahua. Getting there !

I noticed the aver nano does not seem to come with a HDD. If it is the case what are good 500 gig drive that can be placed in there that will handle the 24 hour work without frying ?

Tom did u try the Dahua Hybrid DH-DVR0404HE-T-4H .... just wondering.

Awww...

I was just about to press "payout" for the nano-4 when the sales rep at an alarm shop gave me a call, so I put a hold on pressing the payout button and heard him out and decided to go with a Geovison 600-4 dvr capture card in my computer.( http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/Prod_GV600A.asp) This was not my original plan at all but seeing that I live in a cold cold place on earth so we checked the IP cams supported by AverDigi nano-4 and there are not many cams that will live outside my doorstep without knock at the door so I can let them in to warm up.

Otherwise if I do decide to go with the nano-4 the ip cameras that will support -35C are pretty expensive. Although my intentions are to install 3 to 4 analog cams for the moment and then eventually add one or 2 ip cams ptz or replace 2 analog with 2 IP cams. (ptz or not, still debating )

Every time I come back to the forum to tell you my story I end up second guessing my decisions. I just do want to get ripped off. Will a capture card end up costing more than a standalone dvr. I have a pretty nice computer downstairs that is just sitting there doing nothing while we use the laptops upstairs, so I thought why not put it to good use.

For the same price of the nano-4 I get the card and I can fit a analog camera that is

Metal weather proof - 1/3 Sony CCD - 600TVL - SInfrared HD

4-9MM DC 12. Actually he said they had a new one that was 2.7 - 9 mm

I have till 6:00pm to make a decision otherwise my wife will pull the plug. lmao

Thank you for any comments and help. It is all greatly appreciated and informative.

Geovison 600-4 dvr

the nano wipes the floor over gv 600. and the gv cost more

so we checked the IP cams supported by AverDigi nano-4 and there are not many cams

supports 90% of ip.

The Nano has more support for IP cameras than any other Hybrid I have seen. For those cameras that you seen on the list, all you need to do is put them inside a housing to make them weatherproof for your climate. All in all, you would have saved money going with the Nano and it would have been less headache. I sell Dahua analog DVR's, but when it comes to Hybrids, I would prefer the Nano over Dahua. Much more supported IP cameras. If you are wanting to go Analog only, go with Dahua.

All in all, you would have saved money going with the Nano and it would have been less headache. I sell Dahua analog DVR's, but when it comes to Hybrids, I would prefer the Nano over Dahua. Much more supported IP cameras. If you are wanting to go Analog only, go with Dahua.

The cool thing is I didn't sign to anything yet so I can still decide.

Ok let this be my last question ( Ya! Like I never said that before ) lol. I'm back to the nano-4 atm, Now both of you, SEANHAWG and tomcctv seem to be confidant in Dahua. So tell me which one of the Dahua would do the job for lets say 4 analog, Iphone 3GS viewing. I have been over your site SEANHAWG and there is about $100 diff between the economy grade and pro grade. Are they much better than the ones Swann, Q-see and Lorex sell with their bundles. I know tomcctv might have said something about Q-see selling a dahua with their systems once. AND finally if I go with a dahua I have to commit to analog so are there any good analog cams that can give me good details on the person committing and infraction or will IP always win over analog. Don't need camera types just some reassuring.

Thanks again.

the nano wipes the floor over gv 600. and the gv cost more
so we checked the IP cams supported by AverDigi nano-4 and there are not many cams

You sure bout that? cause the avermedia software for their DVR cards and the other avermedia stand alone I used all sucked big time, i mean they sucked more than Geo.

You sure bout that? cause the avermedia software for their DVR cards and the other avermedia stand alone I used all sucked big time,

rory your last avermedia was 1304 steel box ..... not been made for 7 years and that was there lowest budget dvr.

brand new software all hybrid playback on mobile recording via mobile or ipad free updates free ip adding.

lets take alook at geo. pay for ip / pay for POS pay for card verification (clone) not full mobile compatable.

GV 600 30fps ONLY @ cif . 72% of cards for sale are clone plus the 600 is limited to motherboard chip.

Awww...

I was just about to press "payout" for the nano-4 when the sales rep at an alarm shop gave me a call, so I put a hold on pressing the payout button and heard him out and decided to go with a Geovison 600-4 dvr capture card in my computer.

Perhaps I can call and sell you a bridge over the Atlantic ocean

Sounds like he was a good salesman

Well providing it is a legit card (as there are many Fake Geo's out there), and it is up to date, then it would also support 32 IP cameras.

Well I've ordered the averdigi nano-4. Should be here in a few days, giving my some time to go get a HHD for the box.

I thank you all for the help which made me think wisely before spending money. I will keep you informed of how things go as I get the material.

rory your last avermedia was 1304 steel box ..... not been made for 7 years and that was there lowest budget dvr.

So you are actually trying to tell me I bought a DVR from Avermedia 3 years ago that they stopped making 7 years ago, even though every store on the planet was selling it 3 years ago??? Pullease ..

And I would hardly call $400 dealer price the lowest budget DVR, AND BTW I used their DVR CARD.

brand new software all hybrid playback on mobile recording via mobile or ipad free updates free ip adding.

if someone likes being limited to using some crappy little calculator OS then whatever .. I pity them if anything. People talk bout this feature and that but most the time it simply sucks, most times it would be less painful pulling all 4 wisdom teeth than trying to use mobile phone features. Get a real computer and stop playing around.

lets take alook at geo. pay for ip / pay for POS pay for card verification (clone) not full mobile compatable.

GV 600 30fps ONLY @ cif . 72% of cards for sale are clone plus the 600 is limited to motherboard chip.

Lets look at price of Geo GV-600 compared to Avermedia Hybrid, cheaper AND free IP using Geo IP cameras. Never used POS so dont really care. Mobile phones I could care less about also.

Well obviously it is not 72% of Geovision cards that are clones, otherwise they would not be a clone.

What chip limitation? The 600 works on anything.

But back to the Avermedia software, it simply sucks, it sucked back then and you still said it was great, if its so great now, post some screenshots or sample videos showing how great it is. But anyway if thats what you like then so be it.

I cant believe you have me defending Geo ..

rory the steel has not been made for years over 5 ..... then you had the 1304 net now that stopped 3 years ago. then you had the 3004 and now the 3004 plus which now has also come to a stop.

And I would hardly call $400 the lowest budget DVR,

i dont know were you bought it from but its never been over $150. hell the nano hybrid is no were near $400

if someone likes being limited to using some crappy little calculator OS then whatever

your still talking about a 7 year old unit you had.

this is the old OS display. how can you say its crap ????

the nano is know even better

I cant believe you have me defending Geo ..

geo are members of the forum and they dont even defend themselfs (that tells it all) i might get a reply from there support soon (i only sent it in march)

rory the steel has not been made for years over 5 ..... then you had the 1304 net now that stopped 3 years ago. then you had the 3004 and now the 3004 plus which now has also come to a stop.

chief, I had the 1304 net, not anything called a "steel" although it felt like I got robbed at $400 for a cheap DVR. And yes that was 3 years ago.

Edited by Guest

The Aver 4 Nano is a great little hybrid DVR. Extremely simple to use and well thought out GUI. If you are wanting a small 4 ch Hybrid, I wouldnt recommend anything else. never used their cards. Apples to apples, the nano beats anything out there when you are talking low budget IP/hybrid systems.

If you were going all analog, then go with Dahua manufactured.

Just to keep you all posted.

I have received my eh1000-4 nano from Avermedia and I plugged in a 500 gig HHD that I had sitting on a shelf.

I have not had a chance to connect any cams on it as of yet since I had family over for a week. I will try and have an update up for this week.

I think for my Home - Business security system the nano will do the job. Hybrid I took because 2 of my cameras need to be good quality image ( therefore IP cams ) and the other 2 need only to see if the rooms are accessed so I would put 2 good analogue to detect movement in there. They have to pass in front of the IP to get to the analogs so I still will get a good view of the intruder that goes in the analog cam room.

If for some reason the nano4 is not enough I think I will add an IP cam to my computer. I heard of a program called somethin like Milestone ?? to run the IP cams. Did anyone ever hear of it. It's like $50 per cam from what the guy told me.

later

I've had 2 of the Avermedia NV7000 cards installed in my computer and running without problems for about 3+ yrs. I was recently suprised that the ipad app released called AverViewer works perfect and I can remote connect anywhere I have access to wifi on the ipad2. playback is also feature on the remote connect. Seen lots of good things about dahua so I'm getting interested,

Hi Yall...

Well the nano is up and running with only 2 analogue cameras atm. The Iphone ap is easy to use, and for the remote computer software I am still working on it (actually didn't try logging on it yet) The UI with the nano is easy to use but I just started playing with it. I will be back with a few pictures when I figure out how to get them out of the nano lmao.

later

for the remote computer software I am still working on it (actually didn't try logging on it yet)

if you dont have a static ip address you will find it much easier to use the aver ddns service.

paste this link onto a pc you have on the same network as your dvr and just fill it in press confirm ... always keep port as 5550

http://ddns.avers.com.tw/