in places on my system where i am going to have 4 cameras close to each other (like the 4 cameras in and around the shed, or the 4 at the front of the house) i am going to use baluns with cat5e cable. i have used cat5e for the shed run (one camera in the shed, two on the side looking at the alley, one on the other side looking into the neighbours garden) and i have had no problems so i bought another 100m of supposedly cat5e cable only to discover the pairs weren't twisted! me and the supplier have come to the agreement that they will send me 100m of twisted pair cat6e cable along with a prepaid postage bag to send the dodgy cable back to them.

my question is.. what is the difference? will i get better/worse video images with cat6?

thanks.

Hi. you can use the multi core that you have. you dont need cat5 using baluns. (seperate baluns)

cat 5 Vs cat6 you will notice nothing

does it not need to be twisted pairs though? i thought that was to stop noise.

what do you mean i don't need baluns?

You don't need twisted pair to use baluns. I've done it many times with simple 22/4 station-Z wire. I've also used speaker wire in a pinch (where the speaker wire was existing and running new wire between floors wasn't an option). The balanced line created by the baluns rejects noise on its own.

You don't need twisted pair to use baluns. I've done it many times with simple 22/4 station-Z wire. I've also used speaker wire in a pinch (where the speaker wire was existing and running new wire between floors wasn't an option). The balanced line created by the baluns rejects noise on its own.

ahh right, well they've sent the cat6 cable now so i may as well use it. it is very useful to know that i can use any kind of wire for baluns though.

if i got my hands on some 40 core wire (or two 20 core wires) could i run 20 video signals through it using baluns?

could i use baluns with 12 core alarm wire? (4 cores for two video signals, 2 cores for rs-485 (ptz joystick), 2 cores for 12vdc power, 2 cores for alarm output (12v in alarm) and two cores for a tamper loop) bear in mind i will be using the cheap baluns like in the video numb-nuts shared in his balun post.

ahh right, well they've sent the cat6 cable now so i may as well use it. it is very useful to know that i can use any kind of wire for baluns though.

if i got my hands on some 40 core wire (or two 20 core wires) could i run 20 video signals through it using baluns?

could i use baluns with 12 core alarm wire? (4 cores for two video signals, 2 cores for rs-485 (ptz joystick), 2 cores for 12vdc power, 2 cores for alarm output (12v in alarm) and two cores for a tamper loop) bear in mind i will be using the cheap baluns like in the video numb-nuts shared in his balun post.

Yes. and yes... although two cores may not be enough for the power requirements for two PTZs.

Yes. and yes... although two cores may not be enough for the power requirements for two PTZs.

okay, that's good to know. is there a standard name for 20/40 core wire? (and do baluns care about the thickness of the wire?)

the 12core wire is going to go to the living room. in the living room will be a ptz controller that can also control the dvr, the 12v power will power it, the 12v in alarm power will go to a 'hacked' scart connector that will make the tv display the scart input when in alarm. the two video channels are for monitor A and B from the DVR.

blimey!

is that 40 core? looks more like 400.

500 just good to have some spare

ahaha. what do 500 core cables get used for then?

okay, that's good to know. is there a standard name for 20/40 core wire? (and do baluns care about the thickness of the wire?)

"Multicore"? I dunno, big bundles like that, we've normally referred to by number of pairs, as the wires ARE in pairs internally (25-pair, for example, was common for old-style multiline phone systems).

blimey!

is that 40 core? looks more like 400.

500 just good to have some spare

ahaha. what do 500 core cables get used for then?

Telephone trunk lines, generally - you'd see them serving entire neighborhoods. Gradually being replaced by a few fiber runs...