pilotg2

Which camera would you recommend IR or Not

Hello again!

I'm trying to decide between 2 different camera's.

1. Sony SSC-N21 650 Effio-E with Electrical Day/Night function

OR

2. 700TVL Sony Effio-E with IR vandal proof dome?

They will be installed indoor a residential flat in the hallways. I understand the IR will glow when all the internal lights are turned off. My question is, and i need help deciding, how efficient will camera 1. be at night when all the lights are off. Would you be able to recognise someone's face with very little light? Or is it best to put up with the glow of camera 2. IR and get a potentially(?) clearer nighttime recording?

Help please?

Thanks

I dunno how the first Sony compares, but with a CNB Monalisa line at least, if it's too dark for a decent shot, it's too dark for someone to walk through safely - if this is something like an apartment complex, the halls shouldn't be that dark anyway.

If it's just in a private home... maybe consider a night light for the hallway, just something dim to provide enough light for the camera, and for safe passage at night (ie. not having to worry about tripping over something in the dark)?

True day/night cameras aren't magic. They cannot create light where this is none. They still require some small degree of ambient light to present a usable image. I agree with Soundy. If you can have a night light or something like that, a "day/night" camera might work. If you do not want to, or cannot, install any ambient light and it is basically a totally dark area, you will need IR. IR images will be in black & white; just so you know you will lose color.

Also, with some powerful IR cams in smaller spaces, there can sometimes be too much reflection off the subject causing a white-out of the person in the image. But this usually only happens on very powerful IR's when the person is too close to the camera.

If you absolutely must be able to see what's going on at night and reliable ambient light is not possible, get the IR.