restalla

Hi everyone

My name is Andrew, based in the UK. I have a Telecoms background and am doing some work for a friend, but he's asked me to move his CCTV system and see if i can replace a couple of cameras, so will be picking everyone's brains, if that's OK.

Hello Andrew, where are you in the UK? I am in Manchester, originally from London where I still do a lot of my work. I still travel there at least once a month.

If you are re installing a system someplace else, before you start you will need to plan what you can use that you already have and what you might need to replace or uprate.

Let us know what the system is and what the cameras are. I am sure you know how to plan the wiring routes, so next you need to identify where you will need wide angle shots, a wider general view, and where you might need closer up shots that can identify either vehicles or persons. Lighting during darkness is always important, light should not hit the camera and IR should not look directly at the object/person, but across would be better so no washout occurs. You can wire with either coax and twin cable or you can use Cat5 or 6 with baluns at either end. The baluns are the preferred method in most cases today.

Work out the length of cable runs. You can either use a box of Cat5 or 6 cable, (305m) or you can buy shorter runs which you can buy quite reasonably on ebay.

Anything else you want to know we are here to help.

thanks for the quick reply and the info. I am based in Cleethorpes.

the main unit is an LJD Deltawave with CD recorder. It is installled in a garage at the moment, and the room it is going in is directly the other side of the wall, so i can use all the existing wiring routes.

He currently has three cameras, all dome type, will have to check which models. One of them has Pan andd Zoom working, but he's had a conservatory built, so I need to move that camera and will need to extend the wiring. The cabling looks like it is just co-ax, so I'm not sure how the PTZ works as I assumed there wouldbe a separate control for that. Having said that, I couldn't get right behind the unit for a full look.

The other two cameras are both the same type, and are supposed to be PTZ, but apparantly that never worked. One of them produces images that are almost unviewable because the sun has made the dome go 'cloudy'. So he wants them both replacing.

The frontage of the property is about 50 feet, covered by those last two cameras and the boundary is about 15 feet, so i think they must be wide angle.

I'm only guessing here,as I have no real experience, but as he has a spare channel on the main unit, I think he would be better having static cameras at the front recording the entire frontage and ideally a tracking camera to get better pictures of moving objects 'just in case', but I'm not sure which ones would be compatible and how much they would be likely to cost.

thanks for any help,

andrew

Listing the existing cameras and which ones need replacing. You need a special cleaner for plastic domes, such as ICI cleaner for polycarbonate. Or I use plain water and a micrifiber cloth. Some very mild soapy water to wash off any water scale then lots of plain water and dry with a microfiber cloth or terry towel.

This may help:

I think this is the operating manual for that DVR

Edited by Guest

I was trying to simplify things for the guy Rory. Too much information can confuse.

This guy justs wants to complete one job, not make a career of it.

He is unlikely to have a RG59 crimping tool so baluns are the way to go, since he is doing one job.

thanks, the unit i'm looking at is 4 channel i think, but other than that, I think it's right.

hi. i would also let your customer know that the dvr he has is way out of date ... he cant play footage back on pc he cant pass footage onto police (needs dedicated software)

at the moment the dvr will only have 160g HD which is usless for a storage 4/5 days

He is unlikely to have a RG59 crimping tool so baluns are the way to go, since he is doing one job.

who on earth uses that???

twist on BNC are as easy as 123.

who on earth uses that???

twist on BNC are as easy as 123.

And if you don't do them just right, they fall off or give connection issues.

And if you don't do them just right, they fall off or give connection issues.

And then that person is [redacted - let's keep it civil].

Even a Caveman can do it.

Really, if you dont plug the power supply in properly the cameras wont work either.