Sign in to follow this  
vmgtlexi

Tips for Ceiling When Replacing Cameras

I'd love to hear from folks who do a fair share of camera replacements -- what tips or tricks can you offer in terms of re-using the old camera's location so that the ceiling damage from the previous camera is hidden.

As far as I can tell, there is no "industry standard" mount size for ceiling-mounted cameras. So, when replacing, the new cameras never fit exactly into the old holes. For solid wood this is less of an issue. But, for drywall ceilings this can create a weakening of the hold area.

So, I guess it's really a 2-part question:

Any tips for replacing cameras in the same location as the old cameras and hiding old holes while retaining strength of the mount?

Drywall would be better than wood at least you can mud it to patch up an oversized hole.

We use the butterfly bolts often unless it is a solid piece of wood and you can put a wood screw into. We have also used those self drilling wall anchors rates to a crazy 50 lbs. If the hole is large enough to stick your hand up in there you can slide a wood board up there and use screws to hold it there. The board will provide you a solid back surface to work with.

A million ways to skin a cat. LOL I never understood that saying

If you're an end user replacing the cameras it's up to you.

If you're an Integrator (service provider) if it's a drywall (hard cap) ceiling I would (if possible) completely patch the ceiling with mud, as recommended in the previous post.

Now if it's in a company where there is a facilities dept. talk to them and tell them you're intent and do they have any paint to paint the patch after.

What will most likely happen, the facilities mngr. will fall in love with you due to just the impression that you do only! quality work, they will probably say 'just remove the camera and one of his guy's will patch and paint it' or he will at least say, 'yes we have the paint let us know when you need it' and still fall in love with you.

If the hole is too large to patch and paint, get a thin piece of sheet metal and paint it to match as close to possible as the ceiling. It will still look professional and blend and anyone that knows the was a hole there to be covered will totally understand. This is also the fastest method, as you can paint the metal separately and let it dry before you start on the ceiling.

If there is substantial weight involved with the camera, do as the last post stated and put a couple pieces of wood above the ceiling and screw into those.

Good Luck

Bunited2