SecurityNub

is there low quality and high quality cables?

On amazon I saw some surveillance cables, but I wasn't for sure what kind I should get. Does anyone know how I would go about finding out? I tried reading the manual, but that thing is complicated. I have a Color 1/3" Sony Super HAD CCD camera, with a 1U Series DVR. Wasn't for sure if there was a big difference in cables or not.

Cable selection is dependent on what application you're building. It seems that you do your camera installation by yourself and I assume that is simple application. So you can use RG59 siamese cable which combines video & dc power transmission in one cable.

Yes, I found this xxxxxxxxxxx

But they say that the VideoSecu brand is cheap. I was just wondering if there are actually better options in terms of manufactures?

Hi that is not rg59 expect to have poor image quality with that cable listed.

i would look in a phone book or google a cctv company in your area and ask them to make you a lenth of rg59 with power and BNC fitted.

or go the cat5 option with baluns

Actual Siamese cable is good. Avoid cheapo thin pre-made cables.

Or you can do Cat6-and-baluns to future-proof your install a bit (eg. you could transition your install to IP later, and re-use the Cat6 cable)

You really need to list how long a run you are making. For very short runs, it's not as important, as you get longer, everything gets more critical.

I wanna just say that I have run cheap cable to all eight of my cams thus far. I'm not proud of it, but I just didn't have the budget or know-how at the time to put on my own connectors on good cable. Six months and it's still fine- through the worst weather and wind you can throw at it, even cold temps now. My live and remote picture quality is great to me. Would it be better with better cable? I don't know- you're only as good as your weakest link and there's more than just great cable to consider. If my cheap cable fails I'll replace it with the good stuff. If I have the salt, I may even replace them all next spring for the heck of it. But I'm not convinced cheap cable automatically means huge trouble. I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if it happens.

Dan

Edited by Guest

Yes, I found this 170969_1.jpg

But they say that the VideoSecu brand is cheap. I was just wondering if there are actually better options in terms of manufactures?

Hi that is not rg59 expect to have poor image quality with that cable listed.

that is what i used to think.

until i got in the situation where i HAD to lay the wire for a camera before the bathroom floor went down or i would not have another chance.

one of those cables was all i had laying around (bought for a NON CCTV project) so i used it... crystal clear image on it. i would not know it was used just by looking at the image.