vadimo

Coax cable with soft center core help

i have come across what looks like standard RG59 cable but with one differences, the center core is soft made out of strings of copper. I tried to crimp it with my standard RG59 BNC Male connectors and crimp tool but found that center pin can come off with little force.

I wasted 10 crimps and tried cutting the inner insulation as clean as possible (without loosing any strings of center core) but made no diffrence.

Is there a spicific type of BNC connectors to suit this cable?

Thanks

A little bit of solder will hold the pin on (don't get too much on the outside of the pin, though, or it will not fit in the connector).

If you heat the pin with a soldering gun, and apply the solder to where the wire enters the pin, it should flow into the pin.

Some connector pins have a tiny hole to allow you to see if the wire is all the way in, you can also apply solder through it (always just a tiny bit, though).

I have 20 coax cables to go through thats 40 crimps, i cant be doing this soldering. Im looking for this cable type name and BNC to fit it PROPERLY if you know?

Thanks

Is there any specific markings on the cable? it sounds like you might need a BNC connector for a 22 gauge core, or smaller (commonly, RG59 has a 20 gauge center conductor).

I guess I would be getting some different wire...

I think the stranded center is typically used in premade 'patch-cable' solutions, so it can be very flexible.

That said I was able to google "Stranded RG59 BNC Connector" and there were some conenctor listed as designed for stranded center cores..

I think the stranded center is typically used in premade 'patch-cable' solutions, so it can be very flexible.

birdman is right this type of rg59 should only be used for small runs patch leads or for fullbody PTZ (as coax needs to move with camera)

to crimp strip more of the centre than you need then bend the centre core over then you can crimp

I feel your pain....but.

I hate to say it but you have what's called stranded coax. If

you look at the designation (don't have any in front of me at

the moment), but in most coax we get these days the very

last thing it say's is 'solid' that means the center conductor

is solid. I hardly even see stranded anymore.

You're going to have to get soldered connectors after the 1st

8 or 10 you'll get better at it. You have to solder the center

conductor pin on the strands, it's a pain but that's all you can

do to make it a proper connection.

Just a hint get some hemostats (forceps) work better than needle

nose pliers, use them to hold the pin in place. But 1st sweat some

solder on about 1/8" of strands then apply the soldering iron tip on

the pin while sliding it onto the strands. The heat on the pin should

re melt the solder on the strands, why use forceps?....that pin's

going to get pretty friggen' hot.

In the time it takes to try to use regular crimp connectors doing it

wrong, you can get the right connectors and do it right.

Good luck

Bunited2

i have come across what looks like standard RG59 cable but with one differences, the center core is soft made out of strings of copper. I tried to crimp it with my standard RG59 BNC Male connectors and crimp tool but found that center pin can come off with little force.

I wasted 10 crimps and tried cutting the inner insulation as clean as possible (without loosing any strings of center core) but made no diffrence.

Thanks

The cable could also be URM70, still 75ohm but very slightly smaller than standard RG59 and with a stranded centre core.

With quality cable it delivers around 3dB/100m loss at 5MHz

Ilkie

Thanks

The cable could also be URM70, still 75ohm but very slightly smaller than standard RG59 and with a stranded centre core.

With quality cable it delivers around 3dB/100m loss at 5MHz

Ilkie

ahh i see, i did google based on name you gave so here some BNCs http://www.qedltd.co/products/RG59%252dURM70-Male-Bnc-Crimp-(Bagged).html

Looks like hard to get them, but i will try

thank you

Thanks

Yes. Sounds like Belden 8279

http://www.belden.com/techdatas/metric/8279.pdf

Jacket should be marked. You will need the correct BNC connector. 8279 is slightly smaller than 59 and has a clear-milky dielectric as well as a stranded center conductor.

Thanks

Yes. Sounds like Belden 8279

http://www.belden.com/techdatas/metric/8279.pdf

Jacket should be marked. You will need the correct BNC connector. 8279 is slightly smaller than 59 and has a clear-milky dielectric as well as a stranded center conductor.

thanks i will make note of this