Sir Flannel

Anyone use this before?

ive got all the specs and was going to buy just couldnt afford it yet .. yes it is supposed to be very good, id like to hear if someone else has used it also. i may buy it for these 2x 32 channel jobs coming up anyway.

not sure how well it would work. I know when I focus a camera on-site that the focal area changes slightly. ie. I can focus on both far and near objects to obtain the "perfect view" I need. In other words, if I focus on something near that means that everything in the far background is going to be "slightly" out of focus....and vice a versa.............how well will the CM-1 handle that?

In the end my eye is usually the best method. I've considered the CM-1 but do not want to purchase something that I can do well already. I'd still want to readjust it afterwards........

The perfect focusing meter would include a point of reference that you would place into the field of view from which the meter can focus to. Kinda like a light meter...........

The blurb suggests that you don't need a video monitor to set up the camera - so how exactly due you position the camera without being able to see the area being viewed?

You are spot on VST about having a point of reference in the field of view. The meter may indicate that the general image is sharp, but the optimum focus point may well be somewhere else, within that field of view; and that is something a meter (no matter how accurate and how expensive) cannot possibly tell you.

Unfortunately that is something called experience, and as far as I am aware, you can't actually buy that over the counter.

Personally, I wouldn't use a focus meter even if it was provided free of charge and the supplier paid me to use it. Nuff said!

Im sure the manufacturers use something like this though?

You can buy the one of those camera focus boards and place it 50' away. Its that thing with letters and collors etc. Ofcourse you need a portable tech monitor to position the camera.

Im curious also how well it works, if it does work, it sure is alot easier.

The manufacturers don't have to install CCTV cameras in the real world

They could use a meter, an oscilloscope, or more likely just stick to the Test Chart method you suggested rory.