jamies

recommend an IP IR PTZ for use with NO light

hi all,

im looking into a camera to be used in an underground tunnel which has no light whatsoever,

it needs to be IP, and PTZ, main use is to look at a section of the tunnel walls approx 20m left and right of the camera's installed position for water leakage etc. Tunnel is around 6-7m wide and high, total 400m long

can anyone make any recommendations on a camera

20 meters is a long shot for infra red you can get around that by putting in a few IR light sources which are pretty cheap, and the LED ones are durable so a little damp won't hurt them. Sealed PTZs enclosures however are expensive and you'll probably have to find a vendor or installer in your area to lay hands on one and then expect to pay in the thousands for it. Pelco makes a pressurized PTZ enclosure than can handle pretty much anything up to and including small explosions but again you'll pay and arm and a leg for it. They also make a thermal PTZ but depending on what your'e looking for on your wall that may or may not work for you.

I don't know how useful IR would be for spotting water leaks... you might be better off using white-light LEDs.

Then again, a thermal camera would probably work even better... pricier, but I would think it would do a better job at picking out even the smallest water leak.

For the cost of a PTZ, though, it might be cheaper just to put two separate cameras looking down the tunnel from the same central location, or slightly spaced out so their views overlap.

Water shows up surprisingly well on IR probably even better than in color at low light and your right about using 2 good fixed camera's defiantly cheaper but again sealed enclosures are expensive, The pelco thermal ptz was insanely expensive I believe over $3k but it can pick up minute temperature differences and crazy distances the one I saw was picking up stuff at around 200 feet they market them to oil and natural gas companies to spot small leaks in long chunks of pipeline so they know they can get the $$ they are asking for them.

Hi,

I think you shpould take someone of watersist and anti-explosive type PTZ but I am not sure does it integrated with IP function or not, if it no you could consider hook up video encorder or DVR to link the LAN/WAN to remote and monitoring.

There are some well name company in the field.