mrosera

Samsung SSC-21C - Does anyone know how to wire up....

Does anyone know how to wire up this camera to a standard Multiplexer? I have the pin out from the Samsung manual, and have provided 12VDC on pin 6 with pin 4 as 12VDC ground. I wired up pin 2 as the video output with pin 3 as the video signal ground. However, I get nothing out of the camera with this wiring setup.

When I plug the camera back into the RJ-11 jack on the 'giant/over-sized' Samsung box (which not only is unsightly, but has a blown CRT), the camera functions fine (there is a BNC pass through on the Samsung box (or now it is looking like there is a little something more going on with the signal coming from the camera before it is output on the BNC jacks).

I'd greatly appreciate anyone's help who has had experience doing this. I have several of these cameras I want to tie into a standard multiplexor for digital recording, and I don't want to have the giant boxes with the ugly CRTs anymore.

Thanks!

Mike

Hi the problem with converting these rj11 connectors. is the pin outs and getting them right. you can do it with converter leads (but even samsungs are differant for each system)

and then there is the cost. you have a 320tvl camera that runs on telephone cable limited to run lenths and power.

converter $35 pt then you need a power supply $14 pt so for each camera you need to spend $50 pt

you can buy a 420tvl camera online for less and not have the bother

171328_1.jpg

I appreciate your reply. I already have the 'power supply' made, do you have a 'converter' you'd recommend? Thanks!

Is the signal from pins 2 and 3 of the camera 'a balanced signal' (identical signals, but out of phase with each other - and therefore looks like 'no signal')? If that is the case, then I would say that Samsung labeled the pinout incorrectly in their manual because pin 3 shouldn't say 'GND', it should say 'signal -' or something like that, right?

If the camera does output a balanced signal on pins 2 and 3, I believe I need a 'balun' (center tap transformer) to 'pick off' one side of the signal to be able to display it? - I think I may be on to something...I just read a great web page...http://www.ramelectronics.net/av-baluns.ep

If it is this simple - then I don't need an expensive converter - just a small 'center tap transfomer' - and I'll be off and running...any recommendations where to find those?

Again, Thanks!

Mike

If that is the case, then I would say that Samsung labeled the pinout incorrectly in their manual

just because your unit has samsung on it does not make it a samsung. samsung licence there name out to alot of systems this is why there systems are not the same in pin outs. if you look at your manual it does say which cameras are compatable with your system from the samsung range

but on these rj11 connecter systems you can also have audio which uses the same ground. so some mods have to be done from inside the camera and not the lead kit

If the video pins on the camera are a balanced signal, then you need to un-balance it at the other end... with a balun. Something like this:

blnmtl2-1.jpg

The signal IS polarity-sensitive so you may have to reverse it if it doesn't work at first. DO NOT try using the type of baluns with RJ45 connectors - the pinouts won't be the same as your Samsung connectors.