DogCatcher

What is "Covert" mode?

Hi,

I am really impressed with my Samsung system, well, other that the poor QC of the cameras. For $220 including four cameras 400ft (4 x 100ft) of cable, a 250G DVR and impressive software I am well happy with the plug and play purchase.

Now that I have it all accessible and controllable via the Internet, I have been stepping through the myriad of options.

I see a set up for the cameras as "Covert." What does that mean? The cameras have no red LEDs to indicate they are recording and the camera bolted to a wall could hardly be called a "covert installation."

Could someone please explain what "covert" applies to in this situation?

Thanks

Hi,

I am really impressed with my Samsung system, well, other that the poor QC of the cameras. For $220 including four cameras 400ft (4 x 100ft) of cable, a 250G DVR and impressive software I am well happy with the plug and play purchase.

Now that I have it all accessible and controllable via the Internet, I have been stepping through the myriad of options.

I see a set up for the cameras as "Covert." What does that mean? The cameras have no red LEDs to indicate they are recording and the camera bolted to a wall could hardly be called a "covert installation."

Could someone please explain what "covert" applies to in this situation?

Thanks

U will have recording but not live view from covert cam

Like ak357 said: most likely it means that the camera will not be visible on the live or playback display unless you log into the unit with the administrator account/password - any regular user fiddling with the DVR would think that there's simply no camera on that channel.

This would normally be used in something like, say, a retail installation where an owner might put a hidden camera above a cash register or safe drop to catch employee theft, skimming, or other forms of dishonesty, particularly if the DVR is going to live somewhere that's readily accessible to the employees.

>> any regular user fiddling with the DVR would think that there's simply no camera on that channel.

Ahhh, OK, thanks, that makes sense, I always think the best of people so that did not occur to me. Over my working life I have owned many businesses and have employed hundreds (maybe thousands) of people and I have always had a hand in the selection process. I cannot imagine needing to covertly watch any of them, but I can understand where some business might need to do it.

We had a delivery some years back that was addressed from a Jewelery Store and it had a fist-hole punched through the top of the carton. On further entry, the hand and arm had done a good job of sweeping around in there, but only found the dead hard drive the store was sending to us for data recovery. Naturally they left it in there. I guess that would have been a case where the shipping company went back to covert cameras.