ripnix

cheap OUTdoor solution? under $200

What cameras do you know of that meet the following requirements (or as many of them as possible):

1) Is IP based/wireless

2) Can record in total darkness (or at least near total darkness, b&w is OK)

3) Doesn't deliver choppy playback when viewed over high speed internet (Fiber-link, 7Mb/s)

4) Will still work at low temperatures of -15C or at high of 42C (for the next 3-5 years)

5) Has Wireless G but I would settle for wired also

6) Is a popular camera so that perhaps I can find one used on eBay

7) Works with Security Monitor Pro maybe, at least doesn't needs special software to buy

Has motion detections and can send an alert to phone/email

9) Price: $200 for a new or used one

I plan on using it for surveillance of my backyard (cam doesn't have to be weatherproof as I can mount the camera in my shed through a window at the back of my backyard), still the temperatures will be this winter under -15C

I'd appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me in this matter.

Thank you

PS: is it possible to take even a cheap camera and wrap it in some thermal insulating tape so that it last at low temperatures?

Edited by Guest

cam doesn't have to be weatherproof as I can mount the camera in my shed through a window

If you want to record in total darkness you need IR leds. IR leds behind window = bad idea

Camera will be blinded by reflection.

cam doesn't have to be weatherproof as I can mount the camera in my shed through a window

If you want to record in total darkness you need IR leds. IR leds behind window = bad idea

but you could disable the cameras IR and use a cheap £10 outdoor IR illuminator

cheap

   [cheep] Show IPA adjective, -er, -est, adverb, noun

adjective

costing very little; relatively low in price; inexpensive: a cheap dress.

costing little labor or trouble: Words are cheap.

charging low prices: a very cheap store.

of little account; of small value; mean; shoddy: cheap conduct; cheap workmanship.

embarrassed; sheepish: He felt cheap about his mistake.

ok, didnt think about that ...

then it needs to be outdoor

my biggest problem is the temperature thing ... last night we had -6

This is what You get for ~170$ here in Poland:

thank you for the suggestion

i found also this one: FI8905W $75-100

http://foscam.us/products/foscam-fi8905w-outdoor-wireless-ip-camera-23.html

LogiLink WC0016 $183

http://www.logilink.eu/showproduct/WC0016.htm?seticlanguage=en

and i dont know which to take,

if the price difference is really worthy?

OMG Foscam, I hate those cams, its like webcamera with ethernet port. I used them once, and I wont do it again. Just like "Grand IP cameras" - SUCKs HARD!

This is what You get for ~170$ here in Poland:

thank you for the suggestion

i found also this one: FI8905W $75-100

http://foscam.us/products/foscam-fi8905w-outdoor-wireless-ip-camera-23.html

LogiLink WC0016 $183

http://www.logilink.eu/showproduct/WC0016.htm?seticlanguage=en

and i dont know which to take,

if the price difference is really worthy?

OMG Foscam, I hate those cams, its like webcamera with ethernet port. I used them once, and I wont do it again. Just like "Grand IP cameras" - SUCKs HARD!

well thing is that the AVTech AVN252 on ebay is 222 EURO, and the only suppliers are from US, which means ill have to pay something to customs

so i have to chose from the foscam and the LogiLink

any other suggestions?

well thing is that the AVTech AVN252 on ebay is 222 EURO, and the only suppliers are from US, which means ill have to pay something to customs

any other suggestions?

Honestly you will not be happy with any of those cameras. Spend a bit more and buy a decent camera like a Vivotek 8362. Or just go with a cheap DVR and a decent analog camera, it will get you better picture quality in the AVN252.

any other suggestions?

Honestly you will not be happy with any of those cameras. Spend a bit more and buy a decent camera like a Vivotek 8362. Or just go with a cheap DVR and a decent analog camera, it will get you better picture quality in the AVN252.

i know your right, but still when you dont got the money you need to take what u can

the ip8362 is $900, i dont even earn that much in a month ... so its not a bit more, its huge

there are many solutions under the 200 mark, but i was asking around to see which is better, or reliable then the other, cause i know that i cant expect quality at this price, but still im hoping that others from experience can tell me some models which where ok

a professional firm is asking for $300 to install a surveillance system (dont know any details), well at this price i dont think it would be of any quality so why should i pay someone else to do it when i could do it for less and maybe at the same or better quality

now from the searches that i did i found out that the best thing would be if i could find a outdoor camera that complies with the IP67 standard (has Fan and Heater), but i guess there is no way that i could find one under 200