pilotg2

Is complete remote setup of Dahua DVR possible

A friend of mine in another country wants his DVR replaced. He currently has an old AVTech dvr with 9 cams. To save flying out as timing does not suit i wondered if the below was possible.

The shop there will install a DVR harddrive and enter the local network settings with same port, etc as previous DVR. Will my mate simply need to plug in DVR, network cable and 9 cams and i'll be able to remotely login and begin setting up the DVR? Will the DVR allow me to login remotely without logging in locally first - what would the login settings be?

The DVR i'm planning on getting is a 16ch Dahua, not sure which one yet.

Has anyone done this, would love to hear from you?

Cheers

Stu

Yes, you should be able to accomplish this without any issue.

The Dahua's default ports are 80, 37777, and 37778. You would want to have the guys on site set up port forwarding on those ports to the IP address designated for the DVR. They would then just need to assign the IP address for the DVR and you can connect remotely and program the entire DVR.

The login settings would be admin/admin.

Good luck

Yes I do this all the time.

Just tell them plug it into a router and either give you admin access to the router, or use something like TeamviewerQS on a networked PC at the location.

Its simple and should not take more than 5-10 minutes.

BTW you only need port 37777 for live, playback and remote config - the HTTP port only needed for browser access.

Great info guys reassures me it can be done with ease and thanks for the default port no. I use logmein to access his pc so can config the router from there.

As mentioned the default admin login is admin/admin.

to change that password remotely:

1-setup a temporary admin account then login with that instead of admin

2-change the admin password using that temporary account

3-login with admin and delete the temporary account

You can't delete accounts; admin, default, 888888

You can delete the user account 666666

888888 is a local only account

Thanks guys!

Rory, i presume i can login with admin, admin and setup the temp account, etc all remotely? And which program would you recommend i do the setup with PSS or webviewer?

Secondly, it sounds like you use their stuff alot. With PSS i access it on my high res screen so i have increased the font DPi to 120. When i access the Config setting and Playback screens they are misaligned. Have you experience this and if so, happen to know of a work around? I contacted Dahua but they told me to reduce the resolution, which really isn't an ideal solution.

Yes you can login with admin, create the temp account, log out then log back in with the temp account to change admin's password, then log out and back in with admin and delete the temp account. This ofcourse is only if you want to change admin's password, which is recommended. You can use PSS, or even the custom built "Dahua DVR Users" software downloadable on my site.

I normally also delete the built in user 666666 as that user and admin are both accessible remotely. Then I create a separate user with live and playback permissions which I standardize for all the DVRs to make it easier to remember - Admin being the only account used for remote config of the DVR. Sometimes I also setup individual user accounts but generally they dont care about all that.

Unfortunately as PSS uses skins and they dont resize them accordingly, it will always be out of whack at higher DPI settings. There is something they could do in their code to make it work either way, but they either dont know or just dont bother.

Thanks that's very clear and i know exactly what to do now. Will delete 666666 user too.

Yeah the DPi is a pain as i have mine increased and the software doesn't even respond to Compatibility mode...

Out of interest does their DSS Software have the same DPi issue? I can't get it to work without any DVR to connect to. So cannot test.

Havent tested DSS for that, but the DVRs and users are setup with a browser based app on the server, the clients log in with the DSS Client software and the list of DVRs assigned to them are displayed without any setup required. It still uses skins though.

Cheez you know your stuff, thanks.

That's a bugger DSS probably wouldn't suit my needs and more than likely has the same problem.

So that leaves me with the web service via IE - you don't happen to know if it's DPi-aware? I sure hope so!

I couldn't find the other program you mentioned on your website?

Cheez you know your stuff, thanks.

That's a bugger DSS probably wouldn't suit my needs and more than likely has the same problem.

So that leaves me with the web service via IE - you don't happen to know if it's DPi-aware? I sure hope so!

I couldn't find the other program you mentioned on your website?

Its not listed under Dahua Product Downloads, its a custom build from the SDK demo:

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/software/cctv-software/dahua-dvr-users.asp

This is strange - I'm using windows and reverted back to 96 DPi (100%) and PSS still appears as below:

171926_1.jpg

171926_2.jpg

I contacted Dahua, and they basically replied saying they have no plans to make PSS DPi aware and have yet to offer a solution to the above. A bit disappointing really. Anyway, I have removed the program, deleted all files, cleaned reg, reinstalled into a different directory and still can't make it look normal at 96DPi. Besides, i can't leave it on 96 - the font is way to small on my 1920x1200 (native resolution) screen.

Does anyone know if the web service is DPi aware?

After changing DPI make sure to restart.

Maybe I will look at making a custom PSS setup program.

switching it to 96 dpi works everytime so not sure why its not working on yours. From looking at your screenshots, the screenshot you are showing is not the dpi setting. what version pss u using? Also, what OS are you using on your computer?

switching it to 96 dpi works everytime so not sure why its not working on yours. From looking at your screenshots, the screenshot you are showing is not the dpi setting. what version pss u using? Also, what OS are you using on your computer?

Agreed. I've setup it up a dozen times on Windows Vista/7 computers where I had to reduce the dpi and have never had it not work. Windows 7 does require you to log out and log back in for the resolution change to take place, but beyond that, the PSS screen should appear as normal.

After changing DPI make sure to restart.

Maybe I will look at making a custom PSS setup program.

Restarted a few times, during uninstall, reinstall and DPI change - on Win7 64bit you only need to logoff to set change. The only thing i can think of is I did play with fonts but have reset all of those back to default by downloading a new windows theme... 9 point. Reinstalled after that too, etc

I've no programming experience i'm more on the tech side of PC's. If there was something that could be done to get PSS to accommodate 120 DPI i would be beyond grateful. Like a 120 size skin option?

It's version PSS 4.05 downloaded form Dahua website, Win 7 64bit

Agreed. I've setup it up a dozen times on Windows Vista/7 computers where I had to reduce the dpi and have never had it not work. Windows 7 does require you to log out and log back in for the resolution change to take place, but beyond that, the PSS screen should appear as normal.

I know, that's why i can't figure out why it's not picking up the 96DPI setting. If i increase DPI, skewing gets worse, when i reduce DPI back to 96 it shows as in screen shots.

Have you ever had any luck getting all fonts to appear around 120DPI with the DPI set at 96. I have found it a real pain to get it right in Win and outlook 07. Nearly got there, but some font's appear unchangeable.

I've no programming experience i'm more on the tech side of PC's. If there was something that could be done to get PSS to accommodate 120 DPI i would be beyond grateful. Like a 120 size skin option?

Cant do that as that is part of PSS, the code itself can only be changed by them.

BUT, everything with PSS is controlled by settings contained in INI and XML files.

So a 3rd party program could be created to be run separate of PSS, or the PSS options window could be hooked when it is opened, to show the custom program instead.

Actually I just checked and you are right it can be done with skins.

Unzip the following to the PSS skin path.

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/PSSSkinDPI_test.zip

Example PSS Skin Path: C:\Program Files\Pro Surveillance System(EN)\Skin\Default\

May differ depending on your install of PSS and the OS.

It only effects the Options Window in this test.

Let me know if it looks normal after updating with this.

Have you ever had any luck getting all fonts to appear around 120DPI with the DPI set at 96. I have found it a real pain to get it right in Win and outlook 07. Nearly got there, but some font's appear unchangeable.

How would this be possible? 120 DPI fonts with 96 DPI setting?

I am afraid there is something you are doing wrong. Please make sure you are following this guide to a "T": http://www.nellyssurplus.com/pssdisplay.pdf

Works like a champ everytime.

Unzip the following to the PSS skin path.

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/PSSSkinDPI_test.zip

Example PSS Skin Path: C:\Program Files\Pro Surveillance System(EN)\Skin\Default\

May differ depending on your install of PSS and the OS.

It only effects the Options Window in this test.

Let me know if it looks normal after updating with this.

Rory you are a living legend - this is exactly what i was looking for!!! Thank you so much you have no idea how much hassle you have saved me.

I copied your tweaking and have now got the Options Window to fit 120 DPI at 1920x1200 RES. Done the same with the Playback screen. Both look normal now. I imagine there are other areas that will need tweaking, but those are the main ones and at least i know with a bit of tweaking the others can be done as and when needed.

Thank you again!

Glad it worked, I will throw together a full skin update for that and put it on my site for download.