pilotg2

Is complete remote setup of Dahua DVR possible

Superb work, i can see all the Windows perfectly. Very neat tweaking too!

The manual install works perfectly with Win 7 64bit as expected.

The install path for Win7 64 is %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Pro Surveillance System(EN) However i still couldn't get the auto install to work i'm afraid. The files were replaced correctly, but text still out.

Out of interest, i did notice (which seemed very strange) during the custom install, i renamed the original Default folder and then copied the edited one, to the correct path. It didn't work.

I then deleted the original Default folder and replaced it with the edited one. Didn't work again.

The only way it worked (not sure if this is just my PC behaviour) is exactly like you said on your website, copy the edited files into the original Default folder.

More than happy to test auto install if you have any other ideas.

BTW i figured out why PSS text screens were still out when i reverted back to 96DPI - I had forgotten about fiddling with the registry and had changed the system font to Verdana... Doh!

Msiexec.exe in Vista/7 will normally revert PSS back to the default skin if you use the shortcut created by the PSS install, using a manual shortcut direct to the PSSProject will not, using the mouse to copy etc manually will work but would need the script to run as admin to do it through code (thats where vbs etc comes in but I left it out in this to make it simpler).

Thats why with the automated install it will (is supposed to anyway) copy to the Virtual Store path instead which PSS will use for data and skins if there are files there. It copies for 32 bit and is supposed to also for 64 bit but I never had a 64 bit to check out the actual path after the PSS install. Its in local app data, virtual store, program files folder.

BTW I dont have a vista/7 PC to test on, if anyone wants to send one this way .. cough .. I mean setup teamviewer I can check it out LOL ..

Msiexec.exe in Vista/7 will normally revert PSS back to the default skin if you use the shortcut created by the PSS install, using a manual shortcut direct to the PSSProject will not, using the mouse to copy etc manually will work but would need the script to run as admin to do it through code (thats where vbs etc comes in but I left it out in this to make it simpler).

Thats why with the automated install it will (is supposed to anyway) copy to the Virtual Store path instead which PSS will use for data and skins if there are files there. It copies for 32 bit and is supposed to also for 64 bit but I never had a 64 bit to check out the actual path after the PSS install. Its in local app data, virtual store, program files folder.

Being playing around with this quite a bit yesterday. I understand the first paragraph, but i'm lost on the second! I have found the easiest way that works everytime on Vista and Win7 is to copy your edited files and paste them direct in relevant folder with copy and replace option (overwrite existing files). The original shortcut works this way to. I found if i deleted the contents of the original folder first and then pasted custom files in it would go off and "reinstall" when running original shortcut as you mention.

BTW you don't happen to know how i can get PSS to open to the "Switch" size. It opens up to max and doesn't remember the resize.

Being playing around with this quite a bit yesterday. I understand the first paragraph, but i'm lost on the second! I have found the easiest way that works everytime on Vista and Win7 is to copy your edited files and paste them direct in relevant folder with copy and replace option (overwrite existing files). The original shortcut works this way to. I found if i deleted the contents of the original folder first and then pasted custom files in it would go off and "reinstall" when running original shortcut as you mention.

BTW you don't happen to know how i can get PSS to open to the "Switch" size. It opens up to max and doesn't remember the resize.

With Windows Vista/7, PSS will load the skins, data, and config from the default install path. Eg.

[PROGRAM FILES]\Pro Surveillance System(EN)

[PROGRAM FILES X86]\Pro Surveillance System(EN)

If you make any changes or want to customize it using a program (eg adding a device within PSS) then it will use the following location, this is where the config and data files modified by PSS will be stored and loaded from, the ones in the default install path will therefore not be used:

[LOCAL APP DATA]\VirtualStore\Program Files\Pro Surveillance System(EN)

[LOCAL APP DATA]\VirtualStore\Program Files(x86)\Pro Surveillance System(EN)

Otherwise for a program to update the files in the default install paths, it needs to raise the privilege to admin, or it cannot copy or delete anything etc. Obviously programmers dont want to bug the user all the time asking them to give privilege to do something, so they will simply save the new configuration to the user data paths instead and check for that anytime they need it. Since the program (PSS) is first and foremost designed to work for XP first it will also work if the config and data files are customized inside the default install path.

With PSS on all Windows OS, Msiexec.exe is installed to the default install path, if you make certain changes it will reload the default install configuration, replacing files. With XP most users run as admin so we can delete that file easily, but it means asking permission if using Vista or Windows 7 since it is located in the program files path.

When you MANUALLY copy, delete, or replace files you already have privilege to do so, if anything it might ask you but otherwise there will not be the same restrictions as doing it within a program or script.

I have a program on my site I wrote that will open PSS to full screen, but not switch size.

If interested I could make one that does that and just call it a different name, or modify the existing Full Screen EXE to do that as an option, nobody ever asked before, PM me if you like.

I cant edit that post so will just update it in this new post:

Regarding Msiexec.exe, it will only reload the default installation files if you use the shortcuts that are built during installation, which are based off of Msiexec. For example, when I do my Custom Skins for PSS I replace those shortcuts with direct shortcuts to the PSS executable and therefore even if Msiexec.exe exists in the PSS path it will never be used.

I have a program on my site I wrote that will open PSS to full screen, but not switch size.

If interested I could make one that does that and just call it a different name, or modify the existing Full Screen EXE to do that as an option, nobody ever asked before, PM me if you like.

Hi, tried to PM you but i wasn't allowed

Be great if you could go straight to Switch Size, i currently change it manually ever time i open PSS, so it's not major, just annoying. I would have no idea how to edit EXE so whichever way you think is best/easiest - I would do it if i knew how!

Hi, tried to PM you but i wasn't allowed

Be great if you could go straight to Switch Size, i currently change it manually ever time i open PSS, so it's not major, just annoying. I would have no idea how to edit EXE so whichever way you think is best/easiest - I would do it if i knew how!

try this ..

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/psssw.zip

put it in the PSS path and then run that instead of PSS

eg. right click send to desktop to create shortcut on desktop

you can contact me through my site if you like.

It works - thank you very much! I had a browse round your website, very useful stuff there and will return in the next few days

It works - thank you very much! I had a browse round your website, very useful stuff there and will return in the next few days

no problem

I got my hands on a remote Win 64 bit system until monday so will be testing and fixing that skins app also .. going to see if I can let it stay on for a few days to run alot of tests, at least until i get a big job to buy my own win7 64bit test pc ... check the tests on my site also in the dahua support area, things i dont put on the main site until or if it ever goes anywhere .. its in the support section. latest one is something right now i call "mini PSS".

ok so basically with Win 7 its like this.

if UAC is turned on then it cant write to the default folder as PSS doesnt raise the user level (something even I do in Vbscript), therefore it writes to the virtual store folder, and uses that folder for its data. If UAC is turned on, then it uses the default install path for its data. So I guess for my skins and fixes for PSS I need to raise the level in Win 7 (and likely vista) and write to both locations, incase the user turns off UAC after it has been setup/tweaked. I will probably make a backup of the replaced files under a different folder in the Users AppData path. And OR I can just create a PSS data folder in user documents and if they were to change their UAC then they could use PSS to import the data files (last menu item under settings manage).

Why even care about this? Well its for the PSS auto installer and also the Skins, some people might be interested. With the PSS installer it can take preset devices and tasks (using a soon to come PSS Prep program) and install that along with the new PSS installation. Also it can install the skins so when it starts up the first time the skin is already installed. As well as it can copy or install other 3rd party programs, AND it can make shortcuts to all of them on the desktop and or start menu .. right now it works perfectly in XP as we can replace the files in the default path without raising the user level (PSS wont even work under a user account anyway), but now its time to get it to work with Windows Vista/7 .. as Windows 8 is right around the corner

if UAC is turned on then it cant write to the default folder as PSS doesnt raise the user level (something even I do in Vbscript), therefore it writes to the virtual store folder, and uses that folder for its data. If UAC is turned on, then it uses the default install path for its data.

Sorry this should have been:

If UAC is turned OFF, then it uses the default install path for its data.

Before I get way out of hand, I just found this site a while back(fantastic), perusing it and Rory's site (awesome BTW) for as much knowledge on the Dahua based DVR's. My company has been installing these for about 6 months and the company ICrealtime does not help as much as I wish. I usually try to figure things out myself.

I tried to remove the log out screen by following the "Dahua PSS Tips" on Rory's site and have had some difficulty. I would like to be able to click the X to close the program without having to put in password or even hit ok in the logout box(using windows 7 64 bit). I opened the file and deleted password but get denied.

So I copied it to desktop, modified it then pasted it back in data file with different name, deleted original and made the modified one have the same name. Close program and the installer puts it all back to normal.

It even keeps the ICrealtime logo on the version that I downloaded from Rory's site, where does it hide this info?. How the heck do I solve this? And what the heck is UAC? Hopefully I don't sound too dense for asking all these questions.

UAC is user accounts control, its the thing that keeps asking you what you want to do ... and you have to hit okay etc to run whatever.

There is no way around having to at least hit OK to exit PSS as that window cannot be removed entirely without error, well except for maybe running a custom program in the background that waits until the exit window pops up then it automatically clicks Ok for you.

If UAC is turned on, any settings and data that is changed within PSS will be saved in the Virtual Store folder (see locations in my link). If you copy a custom skins folder to the Virtual Stores path then it should use that automatically, once UAC is enabled. I dont know what goes on in the background of PSS but I guess it sees it cant make changes to the default path so checks the virtual store to see if any data or skins are there .. if not it just uses what is in the default path, just a theory though.

There is really no way to control which path PSS uses, it all depends on if UAC is enabled or not (well you may be able to change security settings on the PSS default path so PSS can make changes to that folder but I am again without a Windows 7 computer to test with). Basically PSS doesnt raise the level to ask for admin rights when it finds it cant write to the default path, so instead it just goes straight to using the Virtual Store path where it has complete control. If UAC is disabled and it can write to the install path, then it uses that automatically no matter what you have in the Virtual Store path.

If you are going to make changes to the skins in the PSS install path, you need to delete the PSS shortcuts on your desktop and startmenu, and make a new shortcut to PSSProject.exe using right click Send to desktop as shortcut. Otherwise the Windows Installer will always kick in and replace the removed files when you use those installed shortcuts, as those are created by the installer.

ALSO, you can always just copy the entire PSS install folder to another area of your computer like documents, user data, or even the desktop, then create a shortcut from the PSSProject in that folder to your desktop, no matter what Windows Installer will never kick in and you can make all the changes in the world you want to that folder just like in XP. Except with UAC enabled it might ask you each time if you want to run it. At least without adjusting security settings manually on that folder.

Lastly, if you want a clean install, uninstall PSS first, then manually goto the Program Files (or X86) path and delete the PSS folder there, also goto the Virtual Store folders and delete the PSS folders there. THEN install PSS and it will not have any previous settings, data, or skins.

Rory

Thanks for the help, however I can't seem to get to that local app file on my Win 7 64 machine. I can get to the Users/ user location, it has a lock symbol on it and only displays general items, no app data to be found. However when I checked read only it changed it and then it showed all the files in a window being changed (which included app data files)

So if I turn off UAC and reload PSS it will put all files in the proper place and the ICrealtime logo will go away?

One other question, with the single view tool that you have made using SDK, could you embed it in a audio touch panel such as RTI or crestron? It seems doable, the new RTI processors are network based. I love that single view, I already have used at jobs where they only need 1 or 2 cameras streaming for a cashier on her desktop.

I did some more reading and found this article on UAC, something to be learned everyday:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/how-to-disable-virtualstore-in-windows-7/55dce284-0dcd-46af-892e-d2b9cf5bcff6

I found these tools from the guy in the bottom of the post.

UAC PROCESS ANALYZER AND UAC CONTROLLER TOOL

http://www.itknowledge24.com/downloads.html#

Answered my own question about hidden files on WIN 7.

Control panel-->(change category to small icons)-->Folder options-->Click View--> then click "show all hidden files"--> then click apply.