simard

Whats The Longest RG59 Run (18/2) I Can Get To Power Cameras

Hello All,

I Have A General Question, I Have Been Doing CCTV Installs For The Past 3 Years & The Most Of My Jobs Has Been Delis, Bars, Laundrymats, Auto Repair Shops, Pharmacy, & Houses,....Which Each Camera Run Has Been Between 25FT - 150FT, So The Use Of Video Baluns Has Been Slim, I Mainly Use 12v 6Amp Power Supply Adaptors With Either A 4-Way or 8-Way Splitter With Premade BNC/Power Wires... I Have To Do A 16 Camera Where EACH Camera Run Will Be Between 350FT-450FT (to be safe), My Question is: Im Going To Be Using RG59 (18/2) Spools Of 1000FT (so I Can Cut To Length Per Camera), I will Be Using The Standard 12v 420TVL 24LED Vandal Domes. Being The Cable Runs From Each Camera Will Be Between 350FT-450FT, Do I Need To Use A 12v Adjustable Power Supply Turned Up To About 14v To Compensate For The Voltage Drop From The Long Cable Runs & Will The Video From The Cameras Still Be Clear?

Thanks In Advance

This is the perfect chance for you to try out Cat5 and baluns. Regarding your power supply situation. I would look at the overall plan and see if you can create 4 'power zones' each one ideally feeding four cameras, That way you can use a number of PSUs sited centrally within each zone,one for each zone and distribute the power over a shorter distance. Racking up the voltage to compensate for distance is never a great idea with DC voltage, as you can damage cameras that way.

Se what solutions others can suggest.

You can do the same with your cat5, for each zone, run 4 bnc patch leads to a 4 way passive or powered balun to a second balun located next to your PSU for that zone and from there you can run coax a shorter distance. Hope that makes sense to you.

By the way, there is no degradation when using Cat5 cable and appropriate baluns ( powered or passive). Some will say the image is better and there may be some truth in that but I can't support that with technical facts as I do't know.

So far as I am aware the image shows no discernable degradation. Just remember to use appropriate Cat 5 cable too, solid cores internal cable internally and outdoor rated solid core cable outside. I also like to terminate the solid pairs with 0.25" or 0.5" chord end ferrules before connection to screw down terminals as in Baluns and PSU. Cat5 conductors are not designed to be used in screw down terminals, they are designed to be crimped, or to be punched down.

I also like to terminate the solid pairs with 0.25" or 0.5" chord end ferrules before connection to screw down terminals as in Baluns and PSU. Cat5 conductors are not designed to be used in screw down terminals, they are designed to be crimped, or to be punched down.

Where do you get these ferrules from and what type of crimping tool do you use?

I usually only use the orange ones atat 0.5 mm.

search ebay for "bootlace ferrule". Checkout ebay.com.au for the tool or if you want a cheaper one check ebay uk

This is a real top notch one about AU$55 on ebay.com.au

oypPDC click the piicture to see the kit at Rhinotools, you get a starter kit

Check out these ebay items as two alternatives 280761958119 & 270845918023 the second being a REAL bargain and probably perfectly sufficient for the job. Any electrical wholesaler or supplier of crimps should have the wire end ferrules. edited ebay item number.

I generally use the 0.5 mm (orange) sleeves.

In the UK, I buy my ferrules from here I find the quality has never let me down and the price is acceptable too. I have no connection with these guys except being a customer of theirs.

Edited by Guest

Video should be fine out to around 600 feet on rj59 (longer actually, but good rule of thumb).

12vdc will be a limiting factor, if the cameras can take 24vac you'd be better switching to a 24vac power supply and then you'll have zero issues with the power runs as well.

If you're stuck with 12vdc for the cameras, you can also run 24vac over the line and rectify to 12vdc at the camera end using something like an AT12015-D01 ac/dc adapter.

If you're stuck with 12vdc for the cameras, you can also run 24vac over the line and rectify to 12vdc at the camera end using something like an AT12015-D01 ac/dc adapter.

I agree with this suggestion

A little expensive at first glance, but actually it will save you lots of trouble and performance issues so I would have to agree this is a valid method, but I would use the zonal distribution method for both signal and power and drop the voltage from 24V AC or 240V AC at the distribution point then transform down to 12V DC there. I'd keep power and video signal separate before the distribution points, combining them into a single Cat5 after that if you must.

The 6A cable you have been using already would be fine for taking power to a distribution point at each zone.

Regarding my recommendation to terminate Cat5 with chord end or bootlace ferrules here are a couple of clips of how these terminals fit and crimp. As I said Cat5 conductors are not intended to be used in screw down terminals such as those on a balun, the conductors are far too brittle, and if you are using stranded conductors because you have some tight bends to work around then it becomes even more important to terminate with bootlace ferrules.

I will make the point that they are not essential, but I consider them a good practice

These video clips shows the tool crimping a 0.5 mm² - 24 AWG frerrule (orange) onto a stranded cablble (not Cat5)

This is the tool I have

and this is the tool I WISH I had

and this is the one Jack In Oz is planning to buy

Don't ever loan it to anyone Jack, you'll never get it back

These terminals are known under these names by various trades

Wire end ferrules

Chord end Ferrules

Bootlace ferrules

Not to be confused with Rubber Ferrules or Wire Rope Ferrules

Thanks Numb-nuts, I'll buy the Rhinotools kit. I wish I'd bought one 20 years ago.

Cheers,

Jack

You're not the only one Jack

I use ferrules everywhere now even on my hi fi speaker cables.

I also wish I''d bought mine 20 yrs ago.

One tip, when using connector block or screw down terminals you can trim the ferrule down

a bit after crimping so they don't stick out too far. I always put a little Contralube

on the ferrule when installing in outdoor junction boxes it just makes sure they don't corrode

easily. I've never had on corrode yet and been using ferrules over a year now. One of my

customers specify their use and that is how I became introduced to them.

thumbnail.aspx?q=1334579504691&id=6fad114f073366bbf3d0976c3488b0a2