ipconfused

Unable to connect to DVR remotely - please help

Hello IP camera system gurus,

I need your help please. I have a home network (with a static IP address) with a DVR which has IP cameras. I am trying to connect to my DVR from outside my LAN and get as far as DVR software login page. I enter login and password but receive "login failed" message!

I am 100% sure that my login and password details are correct. When I connect to DVR from my inside the LAN, I can login to the cameras straight away, so login and password are correct. However, when I am trying to connect from my friend's home or from work, I get "login failed".

I have been banging my head over this for the last two days and have not found any useful information on forums. I spoke to my ISP and they confirmed that no ports are blocked and everything looks fine in the router configuration settings.

Router static IP address: 213.xx.xxx.237

DVR LAN address: 192.168.1.3

Has anyone experienced this issue and if so, is it possible to fix it?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Check the manual and make sure the port or ports are correct -- mainly make sure that you only have to forward ONE port. I had a DVR before that required me to forward two different ports; one for the web traffic (80) and one for the password or something like that (8000). If both of them werent forwarded correctly, i got the same error that you are getting

I got this RESOLVED following your advice!

Indeed, I only forwarded HTTP Port 80, whereas the manual requires that three other ports be forwarded as well, namely:

Command Port: 6001

Media Port: 6002

Mobile Port: 6003

I didn't realise I must forward all four ports - I thought that forwarding just port 80 would be sufficient as I would only be using IE web browser.

Thanks for your great help, alpine0000 and ssmith10pn - without you I would still be in the woods! I followed you advice exactly, went through the manual, found three other port settings and bingo! Can view the cameras from outside my LAN!