Sign in to follow this  
woltert1

Looking for a good box camera and lens combo

The camera will be outside around 12-14ft high and I need to reach 120-200 ft with a 30-50ft wide picture. I will use IR illuminator to fill in for the night. I am looking at the CNB MIR1000 or the Vitek VT-IR2 , I don’t know which one is better . If anyone has any suggestions on that I am open to opinions.

Back to the camera I am looking for a box camera with a lens that will go to 100mm. I am looking for a good quality picture.

I currently have a GANZ DR 16 HD with 8TB, 6 CNB VCM-24VF for outside( I am using low voltage lighting for the nighttime with good results) and 6 CNB DBM 24VF for the inside, Altronix 2416 power supply. I am getting ready to hookup the cat5 for the internet viewing.

Any help would be appreciated

Those are quite a wide range of dimentions.

You can use this lens calculator to work out the lens you want.

Don't forget to adjust for actual distance to target by using

pythagorus' theorem for right angle triangles.

i.e. a² +b²= c²

172300_1.gif

But I'm sure most of you knew that, I just mention it so nobody is embarrassed to ask.

This is only really important when specifying a fixed lens, but with a varifocal lens, it doesn't matter quite so much.

You will want an f stop of 1.3 or greater, to get a good

depth-of-field and it should be IR correcting Auto Iris.

I'm sure I'll take some stick for stating pythagorus' theorem for right angle triangles, but there you go...

Edited by Guest

I am looking at the CNB MIR1000 or the Vitek VT-IR2

hi. by the time you have bought your IR illuminators then camera then lens and housing you are over the cost of the CNB XHN. full control and setup from your dvr.

172428_1.jpg

Thanks Tomcctv for the reply.

The reason that I am looking at separate IR is because it will give me the ability to put it in the best location. As for the camera it doesn't have to be a CNB. I just want something with a clear quality picture.

You are correct about using separate IR lighting. Another technique that I haven't seen used in a while for obtaining a grater depth-of-field was to use a larger format lens. The image is taken from the flatter part of the lens and not the

outer part where more distortion occurs. This is no longer common practice because of the development of aspherical lenses. A simple principle to remember is that the more light that hits the sensor, the better the resulting image will be.

It is NOT advisable to do the opposite and and use a smaller format lens as this could result in a port-hole-effect and lets less light hit the sensor, resulting in poor images in anything less than perfect light conditions.

Gotta go, phone's ringing might be work.

The reason that I am looking at separate IR is because it will give me the ability to put it in the best location

hi the CNB is separate IR. you can mount the IR were ever you want. but for 250m you will need IR behind the camera and ir at your target end

Thanks for the responses so far, but ,y main point is getting lost.

I need suggestions for a quality box camera lens set up. Any brand is alright as long as the picture will give me a high quality picture. I need some experienced suggestions with the camera recommendations, maybe even some pictures if you have them.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses so far, but ,y main point is getting lost.

I need suggestions for a quality box camera lens set up.

which is what the CNB is it has a box camera and 27x lens (you can buy without the housing if you dont need it)

as long as the picture will give me a high quality picture.

what is your budget ??

You won't go far wrong with the CNB mona lisa range. They are highly thought of on this forum.

Value for money, I have heard they are spot on. I don't use them purely because my suppliers don't

distribute them. So far as lenses go, once you have decided on your lens requirements, it's a

question of finding an appropriate lens of a similar quality to your camera.

You wouldn't put low octane fuel into your Ferrari, now would you? ( now everyone thinks you have a Ferrari )

Using a cheaper lens with a lower spec camera would do little harm to the end result, but selecting an excellent camera and a cheap Chinese ebay lens might not give the performance your camera is capable of.