threed

Camera Brand Advice, Pelco, Avigilon, or another?

What about reliability of the servers, is 100% uptime obtainable or do all vms systems go down occasionally, partially because of the amount of video they process constantly?

100% uptime is definitely possible. My VMS runs on Linux and it only goes down when I shut it down (or a power failure outlasts my UPS).

We have been on 24x7 recording because we havent been able to tweak the motion sensitivity to a level that gives us good results on recording, is this normal or do other cameras have better motion activation?

Motion detection can be pretty tricky sometimes. I do some motion detection in my VMS for some cameras and in the camera itself for others. Both work well most of the time, but under certain conditions both can miss events. That's why I also have a Redwall PIR which I plan to use to trigger recordings.

What type of server does avigilon recommend? Or do they have their own hardware?

Avigilon rackmount NVR's are a variant of a 710 dell server, but it is not the same as any you can buy from dell (from what i have been told)

I tell my clients that the NVR hardware is designed and tested by Avigilon, but built and warrantied by Dell.

They come with the top warranty which is the 24/7, 4hr onsite response.

To get prompt technical help, (if you ever need it) I recommend using their hardware so you dont get the buck passing.

Once you go Avigilon you will not look back.