Sign in to follow this  
myplace46

Sony SSC-DC50A is it any good?

Does anybody have any experience with this particular camera?

I can pick one up fairly cheap if its worth having. I'm wondering if this would make a good license plate cam?

Thanks,

John

EXWAVE HAD™ DSP COLOR VIDEO CAMERA

1/2" HIGH RESOLUTION EXWAVE HAD DSP COLOR CAMERA

SONY SECURITY SYSTEMS

SSC-DC50A/

SSC-DC54A

EXWAVE HAD

n 1/2" High resolution EXWAVE HAD CCD

n 470 lines of horizontal resolution

n High sensitivity - 0.4 lux at F1.2, 30 IRE (0.8 lux at F1.2 50 IRE)

n Excellent S/N - better than 50 dB (Weight ON)

n Excellent smear characteristics - minus 120 dB (1/50 of SSC-DC50/SSC-DC54)

n Backlight compensation by Smart Control®

n Preset Auto exposure (AE) settings

n ATW Pro/ATW/AWB/Preset 5600° K color temperature settings

n Composite and Y/C outputs

n Genlock capability

n Wide range CCD Iris® function - 1/60 to 1/100,000 sec.

n C/CS Mount

n Accepts Video or DC auto iris lenses

n AC 24V line lock with ±90° V-phase (SSC-DC54A)

n DC 12V or Triple multiplex (video, power, sync) capability (SSC-DC50A)

via optional YS-W150 or YS-W250

Hi it loks great in fundational spec, as you concern, does it affordable LPR, I am courious does it featued OSD board or toggle button cable?

If it has, you should try try parameter in slow shutter and some elase function e.g. HSBLC on for prevent explosue from headlighting.

If you really need LPR camera I think we could offer you esome good stuff.

I've got some Sony DC54A cams; same thing but with a slightly different feature set. It's a great camera from its day, and they were pricey back then ($700 or so new). It'll perform very well with a good lens, and is pretty flexible for old-school analog, with a variety of auto exposure spots selectable, for instance.

However, it's not a true day/night camera, so if you need night performance, you'll need good lighting. it's pretty good in low light due to the 1/2" ccd, but would be marginal for LPR if the conditions aren't ideal (true of most analog cams).

I recently replaced mine with a lower-end 1MP IP cam (Vivotek IP8332), and the daytime performance is dramatically better, as would be expected. License plates are far easier to read (though I'm not using it for that specifically). Nighttime performance on the IP8332 isn't good for that, though, as the noise and resolution suffer at night, and the built-in IR washes out the numbers due to the IR reflection from the plate body. Plus, it's a good bit more expensive than a used DC50/54 should be.

I've got some Sony DC54A cams; same thing but with a slightly different feature set. It's a great camera from its day, and they were pricey back then ($700 or so new). It'll perform very well with a good lens, and is pretty flexible for old-school analog, with a variety of auto exposure spots selectable, for instance.

However, it's not a true day/night camera, so if you need night performance, you'll need good lighting. it's pretty good in low light due to the 1/2" ccd, but would be marginal for LPR if the conditions aren't ideal (true of most analog cams).

I recently replaced mine with a lower-end 1MP IP cam (Vivotek IP8332), and the daytime performance is dramatically better, as would be expected. License plates are far easier to read (though I'm not using it for that specifically). Nighttime performance on the IP8332 isn't good for that, though, as the noise and resolution suffer at night, and the built-in IR washes out the numbers due to the IR reflection from the plate body. Plus, it's a good bit more expensive than a used DC50/54 should be.

Thanks MaxIcon. I really appreciate the feedback!

I'm now resigned to the fact that I'm going to change out all my cams to IP cams one by one, as I can afford it. shouldn't take more than... 5-6 years.

John