Sign in to follow this  
Bmonaweck02

Security system at a small race track, what type of system??

I have recently been asked to set up a security system at a small race track in my area. I have not been to the track yet and don't know how far away the cables are going to need to be away from the DVR. I know that some cameras will be further than 500ft. What kind of system is going to be best? I am guessing some kind of wireless system will be best due to the fact that if I had to run cable some would have to go over the track.

But another question is will the noise of the race cars affect the frequency of the wireless cameras? Also, how much range do typical wireless cameras have?

Thanks,

Brian

I personally have setup wireless LANs for many years in enterprise warehouse and point-to-point solutions such as when there are remote buildings, on-site trailers, and even a link crossing a busy street.

Wireless can work fine for many things, but to be honest, I've never seen a wireless camera that's anything more than a toy. In a demanding environment, and a race track would be just that, I have not seen a commercial-grade product that would work.

Now in terms of using wireless to send video, there are solutions, similar to the solutions used to extend a data network, but be forewarned, these can get costly. http://www.cocom.com/index.htm

When it comes to long distance, it's all about cost. Wireless can have it's place, but also consider either buried or aerial fiber, and there are even solutions where the CCTV camera is using a cellular 3G connection. www.ironsky.com

I agree, Wireless cameras are generally pretty average.

That said we have a solution for some running over 370 odd meters away, using some directional edimax outdoor wireless access points.

They use a single antenna standard of "N" wireless and you align them like beam you can get some sweet distance (they reckon anywhere upto 2km but I think that would be pushing it) and they can do up-to 150mbps (though you'll probably only need 7-10mbps for it to work reliably)

We used a set of analogue cameras over a video server (I think they call them IP encoders in these forums) and then linked them to the wifi access point.

They work with PoE so you mount them up a pole with a single Cat5 they are pre-sealed but i'd put some additional silicon in the base.

We have them running 6 months so far with no issues, you do need to pick a decent wireless channel that's somewhat free or else you will get the standard wifi issues.

This solution was a point to point solution, It can run in point to multipoint but I have not done that with them as of yet, but check it out!

I thank you both for your help. That will give me something to "chew" on for a while. I haven't actually seen the overall size of the track yet so I don't know what I am working with here. I might just be able to use regular analog cameras with a good lens. Who knows. Hopefully that will be the case, and I believe that would be the best solution if it is possible.

But anyway, again thank you for your response.

Thanks,

Brian

Hi You could think take 3 solution whic hbased on your budget and enviroment.

1). Sporting cam whic his megapixel and all-in-one DVR deveice it means you need install all racing car.

2). Wireless Camera + RX device to DVR and hooking up a monitor to real-time view.

3). Miniature cam + portable DVR this portfolio is little bit cheaper than Megapixel sporting cam

If you need solution I think there are some guys I could refer you to touch.

1). Sporting cam whic his megapixel and all-in-one DVR deveice it means you need install all racing car.

2). Wireless Camera + RX device to DVR and hooking up a monitor to real-time view.

3). Miniature cam + portable DVR this portfolio is little bit cheaper than Megapixel sporting cam

If you need solution I think there are some guys I could refer you to touch.

i dont think this is what he means.

car number 8 please stop racing we need footage from your car (no i dont think that works)