Digiscan

Can't I get away with a webcam instead of IP cam in my case?

I have some Cat6 run to where I want a cam. One end is a PC sitting there ready to do whatever it needs to do, the other end my patio. Intent is to have camera view down on driveway.

I tried an entry level IP camera ($100) and it was worse than worthless with image quality similar to a decade old webcam (not kidding), so I was going to get a $300+ unit. I've seen images/video from them and they have acceptable megapixel quality.

However, I've also looked at $40-50 webcams and their daytime picture is at least as good as an IP camera costing six times the price. Yes, they're inferior in dark, but I was surprised how good some of them are at night (even if not as good nonetheless) nowadays.

Since my patio is covered up (no weather protection needed), it seems the only thing I lose is that I'll have to run USB over ethernet and all of the inexpensive adapters for that are USB 1.1, which means I'll either be at low resolution or (I hope!), I can still keep resolution very high but go down to a low frame rate--I don't need vid anyway; a pic every second would be fine.

Just given how a $40 webcam can produce quality HD video and I have a PC ready to manage that, it seems it would work ok...

LMK if I'm totally off base!

Just given how a $40 webcam can produce quality HD video and I have a PC ready to manage that, it seems it would work ok

HD for $40 will not be quality it sounds just like a web cam

I can still keep resolution very high but go down to a low frame rate--I don't need vid anyway; a pic every second would be fine

you do need more fps having 1 fps is useless. . and you need good software which you dont get with webcams

take a look at axis or panasonic panasonic is a good price.

173856_1.jpg

Well you could try it for that low cost, if it does what you need, then you answered your question.

you could get a cheap analogue capture card for the pc and invest in a decent analogue camera and use blauns to transmit video and power over the cat6.

it seems the only thing I lose is that I'll have to run USB over ethernet

thats another problem ..... if the camera is 10ft away from pc then fine .... if not you will have powe problems

I've had good luck using Dorgem to record webcams. Free, reasonably full featured for what it is, and has been reliable for me in some time-lapse projects I've done.

I haven't used it on HD webcams, just the regular VGA res stuff. Looks like the author has discontinued it (always a risk with freeware), but the last version is still available at sourceforge.