Sign in to follow this  
trythis

Help choosing some cameras ...please

I am looking at some used cameras vs the new ones with IR.

I am mostly looking to use them to check on the house when I am out of town. I do not expect to catch anyone because the thieves here tend to wear ski masks.

Right now, I am looking at

Samsung SCC-130A/B Security Camera W/ 7-70mm Auto Iris Lens.

+ housings mounting brackets

or

Ultrak KC552BCN Color Security Camera W/ 7-70 mm Lens & Housing

+mounting brackets

The price difference from these cameras + other things is pretty similar and I would like some advice.

I am planning to use the Qvis Apollo 8 channel DVR

What makes the most sense for cameras mounted 12 to 15 feet off the ground. I will be looking for images from 5 to 50 feet away from mounting point.

The big housings look intimidating, but have lower resolutions, the little cameras lack the big lens optics and are not very noticeable

It never gets very dark here, the street lights keep it very well lit, but I plan to add motion sensor lighting anyway.

Thanks

good dvr. as for cameras there is alot between them all good price. but each has differant lens types. you could just buy 1 of each and test in each of your locations. that way you will find which to order for each location

Hi,

That is a very good DVR, hope that you choose the Pro version because really makes the difference. Or you could buy the Qvis Trojan 8 channel.

For the cameras, I would recommend something better than that. You said that you want the cameras with big housing, and because og of that I would recommend this HDSmartEye CCTV Camera, 1/3 SONY 600TVL 8mm Lens 50m IR or HDSmartEye CCTV Camera, Effio-E 1/3 SONY 700TVL 8mm Lens 50m IR or better than the previous 2, this HDSmartEye Super WDR CCTV Camera, 700TVL 8mm Lens 50m IR. You can choose lens 8mm, 12mm, 16mm.

I bought 4 cameras like this. The 700TVL WDR really makes a difference upon the others cameras.

You will not be disappointed.

Sorry I can not post links but I am pretty sure you can find them.

741755188_hdsmarteye-super-wdr-cctv-camera-700tvl-8mm-lens-50m-irl_27122.jpg.cc7b6d1e5a10fd8b631c8b4d963b5b92.jpg

That camera does not look to be very weather resistant. Looks like one latch opens it up and not very sealed overall. That's not one I'd choose for outdoor in the elements.

That camera does not look to be very weather resistant. Looks like one latch opens it up and not very sealed overall. That's not one I'd choose for outdoor in the elements.

Alot of weatherpoof housings use that type of latch, it normally has a rubber seal and you have to push down hard to latch it. I have some Samsung housings (2 latches) similar to that, held up the entire summer with all the thunderstorms and hurricane even, nice housings for only $35

I am set on the Apollo, not buying a Pro HD, too much money.

My budget does not allow for buying cameras over $70. No sense offering suggestions in the $150 range, not gonna happen.

I am trying to do all of this for $700 including cable, power supply, mounts, housings, + cameras.

I can always upgrade a camera or two over time, but I wanted to get a decent DVR to start. I have looked into lens comparisons and think the 3-8mm are what I really need, but I can't see the aperture on all the lenses.

I am thinking about spending less on the cameras and getting the smaller optics for now.

Alot of weatherpoof housings use that type of latch, it normally has a rubber seal and you have to push down hard to latch it. I have some Samsung housings (2 latches) similar to that, held up the entire summer with all the thunderstorms and hurricane even, nice housings for only $35

Huh- I'll be. Noted!

Dan