Gashog

I'm not as smart as I thought

I want to install some cameras around my house, garage and barn. I have some valuable tools and heavy equipment and there are some desperate people who haven't found me yet. I know it's just a matter of time.

I am looking at Zoneminder because I have been using Ubuntu for years on all my PCs and I'm used to cutting and pasting code in a terminal. I've never set up a server but it's something I've been meaning to dabble in for a long time. I haven't had a reason to do it until I decided to start building my CCTV system.

I thought I was going to be able to buy a couple of old security cameras off eBay, run some cat 5 and plug them into something connected to my server and ta-daaa!

Well, I'm finding out just how much I don't know about CCTV.

1. There are analog and digital cameras. The analog ones have a coax connector, composite or S-video out?

The digital ones have some other type of connector/cable like cat 5 or something?

2. Video capture cards: Not the same as my Invidia card with video capture capability.

Are there analog capture cards? I really don't even know what questions to ask here.

3. IP based: Obviously like Zoneminder is one of these. I like this because I could use my Android phone. Is there a way to hook up an analog CCTV system to work with an IP based system?

4. DVR. Digital camera (CMOS) with either a capture card or dedicated DVR. Seems like these systems are a good match for IP based systems.

5. Connecting everything together: I need to know what wiring I need to install and apparently that depends on what components I intend to use. I see that a lot of cameras use a 24v DC power supply. That makes sense with a battery backup in mind. Also, light gage wire.

Can any of you help me by describing the different basic CCTV systems that I might consider for my application.

I want a camera on or in my garage that can see my driveway. I have a motion sensor flood light on the corner of the garage with 2 100w bulbs.

I'd like one in my attic looking out the window. There is a lit parking lot that I'd like to see.

I'd like one somewhere around my barn. I have a 24 foot telephone pole between my house and my barn or the eves of the barn are 14 feet high.

My server could be up on a shelf in my bedroom closet.

Can anyone get me started?

I don't know where to begin.

I want to install some cameras around my house, garage and barn. I have some valuable tools and heavy equipment and there are some desperate people who haven't found me yet. I know it's just a matter of time.

I am looking at Zoneminder because I have been using Ubuntu for years on all my PCs and I'm used to cutting and pasting code in a terminal. I've never set up a server but it's something I've been meaning to dabble in for a long time. I haven't had a reason to do it until I decided to start building my CCTV system.

I thought I was going to be able to buy a couple of old security cameras off eBay, run some cat 5 and plug them into something connected to my server and ta-daaa!

1. There are analog and digital cameras. The analog ones have a coax connector, composite or S-video out?

The digital ones have some other type of connector/cable like cat 5 or something?

2. Video capture cards: Not the same as my Invidia card with video capture capability.

Are there analog capture cards? I really don't even know what questions to ask here.

3. IP based: Obviously like Zoneminder is one of these. I like this because I could use my Android phone. Is there a way to hook up an analog CCTV system to work with an IP based system?

4. DVR. Digital camera (CMOS) with either a capture card or dedicated DVR. Seems like these systems are a good match for IP based systems.

5. Connecting everything together: I need to know what wiring I need to install and apparently that depends on what components I intend to use. I see that a lot of cameras use a 24v DC power supply. That makes sense with a battery backup in mind. Also, light gage wire.

Can any of you help me by describing the different basic CCTV systems that I might consider for my application.

I want a camera on or in my garage that can see my driveway. I have a motion sensor flood light on the corner of the garage with 2 100w bulbs.

I'd like one in my attic looking out the window. There is a lit parking lot that I'd like to see.

I'd like one somewhere around my barn. I have a 24 foot telephone pole between my house and my barn or the eves of the barn are 14 feet high.

Can anyone get me started?

I don't know where to begin.

i am tired and not in the trade so will quickly and briefly answer some of your questions for now until i wake up or someone else fills you in.

1: analogue cameras use BNC connectors.

2: capture cards are what you connect your analogue cameras to... the card digitizes the video.

3: no, ip cameras output a video stream which can be accessed by a computer, NVR or NAS. with an analogue system you can view it on your phone.

4: no. ip is superior (hence why it costs more)

5: 12V DC and 24V AC are the two standard power supplys. you can use cat5 or coax for video.

i started this reply, got distracted and finished so others may of posted by the time i press post.

Thats kool. Thank you.

I just discovered Bluecherry. They sell a 4 channel capture card and they have an Ubuntu friendly package to run it.

So I should be looking at NTSC cameras, coax/BNC (which I have a tool box of paraphernalia for) and some 24v AC power supplies (which I may have one or two already) and a capture card and Linux box..... If I want to go this route?

That actually sounds like it'd be easy to source anyway.

4: no. ip is superior (hence why it costs more)

Hows that? Analog wins in low light and cost. If those are the apps you are after, then Analog would be "superior"

Everything has network software and has for years, analog or Ip no different in that regard except with IP camera you are connecting direct to the camera.

Thats kool. Thank you.

I just discovered Bluecherry. They sell a 4 channel capture card and they have an Ubuntu friendly package to run it.

So I should be looking at NTSC cameras, coax/BNC (which I have a tool box of paraphernalia for) and some 24v AC power supplies (which I may have one or two already) and a capture card and Linux box..... If I want to go this route?

That actually sounds like it'd be easy to source anyway.

yup, very easy to source! if you are on a budget and dont mind used stuff ebay is the way to go, i got all my cameras used from ebay... all work a dream. they are usually on there due to company vacating office space and taking cameras, system upgrade to ip, building being demolished etc, etc.

Ok. I'm ready to pull the trigger on some used analog cameras. Unless I'm missing something. I'll be ordering a capture card once I decide which box I'll be sticking it in.

Any other suggestions? should I be looking at other options? I do like to tinker and this solution seems like it would fit my property nicely.

One other thing. CCD. That's a charge coupled device right? My still cameras have those. I prefer them to the early CMOS sensors in the DSLRs I tried about 5 years ago. Wider DR and nicer color.

Ok. I'm ready to pull the trigger on some used analog cameras. Unless I'm missing something. I'll be ordering a capture card once I decide which box I'll be sticking it in.

Any other suggestions?

Here is examples of Analog cameras for you

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26855&start=0

and here what u will get with megapixel IP camera

The choice is yours

173909_1.jpg

173909_2.jpg

Done.

I won a lot of 5 Elmo TSN400B cameras with lenses. Including shipping, they were $6.80 each. Can't by fake ones for that, can you?

I'll order a capture card once I chose. Anyone here sell Linux friendly hardware?

want to install some cameras around my house, garage and barn. I have some valuable tools and heavy equipment and there are some desperate people who haven't found me yet. I know it's just a matter of time

I think it's always best to consider and plan for what you really want to see. Do you want to just observe the 'desperate people who haven't found you yet' walking and hauling your property away with no real way of identifying them- just watch helplessly as it all goes? Maybe the cameras record it all one day while your away from home, only to watch them when you return and come to the realization that nothing in those recordings will help identify anyone or get your property back? Because that's all you're going to accomplish with the camera locations you're talking about. Nothing much good comes from wide shots and elevated shots, except a nice view. And that's fine, provided you include cameras that are placed to actually capture footage that will help positively identify vehicles and people. Throw in the struggles of doing that in darkness, and it gets even tougher. My opinion, this order-

- Plan layout to best help monitor and indentify theft

- Your budget

- The system

I'm just a diy guy who installed my own residential analog camera/dvr system. Maybe pro installers will disagree with my suggestions.

From my install for illustration-

High shots, like from a barn eve or attic window or up on poles

173932_1.jpg

daydanbackyardSM-1.jpg

daydanwoodssideSM-1.jpg

Tighter shots, better for ID puropses-

daydandrivewaysmall-1.jpg

daydanfrontdoor1SM-1.jpg

danatdoornight1SM-1.jpg

daybackdoor1SM-1.jpg

A combination of wide and tight shots is nice. I see you got cameras. Don't know what they are, but place them well. I'd guess that five won't be enough. Good luck.

IMHO CD cameras are better than CMOS but that is based on experience... i bought two cheap 'eyeball' cameras from ebay. one CMOS, one CCD... the CMOS one showed green as purple! that was just the start of it...

i am sure others will tell me CMOS is better though.

I am looking at Zoneminder because I have been using Ubuntu for years on all my PCs and I'm used to cutting and pasting code in a terminal.

You're at the place I was about a year ago.

I started out with ZoneMinder, a SecurityEyes capture card from Bluecherry, and a CNB analog camera. Not satisfied with the analog camera, I started to buy IP cameras - and never looked back. The capture card and the analog camera are now sitting on a shelf in my closet. I'll let them go cheap if you want them.

The advantages of IP cams (high resolution, progressive scan, power over ethernet, ease of installation and cable routing, etc.) makes them worth the additional cost IMO.

I am looking at Zoneminder because I have been using Ubuntu for years on all my PCs and I'm used to cutting and pasting code in a terminal.

An important point is that ZoneMinder, in theory, is easy to use, but unless you're really comfortable with computers, and Unix specifically, it's not as easy as it looks.

I have worked with lots of PC-based systems, and sometimes they work well, and other times not-so-much. Making any old PC into a stable and reliable DVR can be hit-or-miss.

Personally, I would suggest getting a pro-grade DVR used on eBay...that's what I do. There are also tons of dirt-cheap Linux-based chinese DVRs from Q-See, Gadspot, Swann and many others. These units are not perfect, but they tend to be fairly reliable and you can set it up in like five minutes.

In terms of PC-based DVRs, I looked at ZoneMinder (never tried it) but have spent TONs of time supporting GeoVision and Netrome stuff. IF done right, PC-based stuff is great, if NOT done right, then it can be a great character-building and learning exercise.

The advantages of IP cams (high resolution, progressive scan, power over ethernet, ease of installation and cable routing, etc.) makes them worth the additional cost IMO.

Also with higher resolution comes less visibility at night.

Thanks everyone.

A combination of wide and tight shots is nice. I see you got cameras. Don't know what they are, but place them well. I'd guess that five won't be enough. Good luck.

I'm thinking 4 will be enough for now.

Anything is better then what I have.

The lenses on all the cameras are supposedly good for a 22x optical zoom.

I hadn't thought about getting a close look at an intruders face. I was thinking more about the vehicle. Thanks for bringing that up.

I love Elmo! On a more serious note: Can you show us some pictures of the cameras and the image quality when you get them thanks?

Yes. I'll do that. I wasn't able to find much info online specific to the model of cameras I just bought.

I started to buy IP cameras - and never looked back. The capture card and the analog camera are now sitting on a shelf in my closet. I'll let them go cheap if you want them.

What do you want for it?

PM me.

The IP Mega pixel cameras are very impressive indeed but I really can't afford the best right now. I need to upgrade my rusted out, rod knocking 1990 Bronco before I lay out $2500 for a good surveillance system, as much as I'd like to.

An important point is that ZoneMinder, in theory, is easy to use, but unless you're really comfortable with computers, and Unix specifically, it's not as easy as it looks.

I'm pretty confident that I can get it all working.

I'm hoping that it's going to be easier then it looks!

Here is the rather long URL for the ELMO manual.

The model number of the ones I will hopefully receive, all in one piece, is TSN400B not A.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=tsn400a.pdf&source=web&cd=4&ved=

0CDkQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elmousa.com

%2Ffiles%2FCCTV_archives%2FTSN400A%2FTSN400A.

pdf&ei=em_qTqCsA4nW0QH9ub3aCQ&usg=

AFQjCNFQzcph4nJMWu6faot7iWuG7YT4Rw&sig2=

oOAxiQ18Iz1aomue3ibRew&cad=rja

Edited by Guest

I picked up a server today. I installed Ubuntu Server 11.10 and it's halfway through its memory check now.

I was able to trade, even up, for a Dell PowerEdge 6000 with 2 scuzzy drives. One 20 Gig and one 300 Gig.

I gave one of my HP workstations and some boxes of old junk.

I need to source some coax and thermostat wire. Hopefully my cameras will arrive next week.

Edit: pants on fire. It's a 600se.