I'm looking into buying the entry level dvr qvis .couple of things can I get it to work wifi or only cat5.the extra $100 for the Apollo version worth it? I have had pc dvr s for years I'm new to dvr stand alone thanks

Hi,

The DVR cannot be setup via WiFi, you must use CAT5. The Apollo has an HDMI output and crisper, less compressed recordings and if you are talking about the 4 or 8 channel, it has more audio connections. If you can afford it, go for the Apollo, but if your on a budget, the Zeus is not bad either.

thanks for the response i have had pci dvr cards for years and very simple to get wifi to them becouse they use computers but iam very new to stand alone dvr.after my cat pissed on my mother board and pci card and fried them both.im thinking of a stand alone but i do alot of watching on my iphone.do they need to be pluged directly into my router?i have anouther computer that is on wifi that sits next to my clutter of camera wires can i share from that computer,or will a wifi dongle work with these boxes.

I have not heard of a wifi dongle that will work. They have software/firmware protocols that need to be installed in order to work. The dvr has its own embedded Linux OS but it doesn't give you access to set up something like a wifi dongle.

If the location of your dvr does not allow you to connect to your router via Ethernet, consider a powerline network adapter. You plug one end into the power outlet by your router and the other end into the outlet by your dvr. Then a cat5 from device to router and from device to dvr and you're set.

I'm not familiar of any dvr with wifi capability. Wifi sucks at streaming constant video. Wired is always best, which is probably why manufacturers have been slow to adopt wifi.

I am sure there is probably a device that will make it Wifi, actually I think it has been mentioned on here before, but I think you will be much more pleased with a wired connection.

Ive used a Wireless Bridge with a Stand alone DVR before.

Best to run wire if you can though.