Sign in to follow this  
barchild

Blacked-out channels

Recently at work we pulled down the computer that was built circa 2006 for a CCTV system. I work at a night club, and the previous manager had this set up with 10 cameras.

The computer itself is good. Granted I had to redo the Windows installation, and being new to a PC based CCTV setup, I found it a challenge, and through Google-ing for various answers and making some phone calls to get it up and running:

Windows XP Professional SP2

2GB RAM

2x 500GB HDD

P4 HT @ 2.99GHZ

ATI RADEON 9600 @ 256MB

Geovision:

GV-800 with software 8.0.1

The previous manager said everything worked fine before it was all taken down. He sold the cameras, which is why we purchased new cameras. When he had it, there was only 512MB RAM in it, obviously I upped that. However, after getting the computer up and running, upon hooking up the first camera to channel 1, the channel goes black. The video lost beep continue, and in roughly 30 seconds, the channel goes back to "Video Lost". I tried other channels and got the same result. Then with a different camera, again, the same results.

I've looked and looked, and can't find my answer. I don't like being on the phone with tech support, since I prefer to read.

I know the card is legit, I had contacted Geovision and provided the serial number to get on the right track for software.

I am now at a stand-still, what am I doing wrong?

I know the card is legit, I had contacted Geovision and provided the serial number to get on the right track for software.

hi. first we do need to know if your card is legit (if you talked to a authorised geo) they would have also told you pre 2006 will not run on the newer software.

can you run this from your system and list your findings. http://www.remote-security.com/update/Detection_Tool_en8010.zip

you may need to buy (if legit) a usb software lock (only from geo)

Is it all the channels that are going black or only some (like all in the same column: 1/5/9/13 or 2/7/10/14 or 3/8/11/15 or 4/9/12/16)

Maybe a little more info may help... you sure the dongle itself isnt maybe bad? Those can break sometimes.

You say it comes on and then goes black... maybe your getting something shorting out thats causing an issue? A rogue camera maybe that has voltage going over the coax somehow and shorting it out (unlikely but hey, its happened to me before)