flyeye

Who _really_ makes this mobile DVR?

Hi,

I'm looking for a 4ch. mobile dvr that records full D1 on all 4 channels simultaneous.

I've found this model, "made by sanan"

http://www.sanan-cctv.com/en/products/SD-Card-Mobile-DVR_SA-2274.html

which looks totally identical to this one "made by k-ding"

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/471500754-4-channel-mobile-dvr-for-bus-taxi-car-security-32GB-sd-500GB-HDD-D1-resolution-serial-wholesalers.html

and the same as this one, "made by BVI"

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/437448673-hidden-4-channel-mobile-dvr-for-bus-taxi-car-security-32GB-sd-500GB-HDD-D1-resolution-wholesalers.html

So, do you think these are all the same device, in reality made by a single company?

Not sure if I need to buy each one and see which one is "real"....

thank you!

Chances are neither are the original brand.

The practice of OEM allows Asian manufactures to sell much larger volumes by branding them for multiple companies.

While the product may be OK, the support on this kind of sales is often 0

If you buy from a recognised name (a manufacturer) it will often cost more but you will get on going support.

Tim Norton

Well, I have asked a few of these companies, and at least 3 say that they manufacture it. Could that be true?

I've bought 3 models from 3 companyes, and i'll see if they are in fact identical, including the packaging, which would tell me that they are made by a single manufacturer.

Every supplier on Aliexpress is 'the original manufacturer' according to them.

You are not meant to know who the original manufacturer is, they don't want you to know.

The manufacturer doesn't want to be bothered with you, they simply want to get on with manufacturing.

Anyway, whats so important about buying from the original manufacturer?

Same reason I am buying them from china in the first place, and not from some distributor in my country: It will be presumably 30-50% cheaper from the original manufacturer, than these other suppliers. Right?

Same reason I am buying them from china in the first place, and not from some distributor in my country: It will be presumably 30-50% cheaper from the original manufacturer, than these other suppliers. Right?

You might reasonably think so, but it's not that simple, anyway good luck tracking them down.

If you can find the true manufacturer, they will not deal with you for less than 10 units anyway. More likely 50+

You might reasonably think so, but it's not that simple, anyway good luck tracking them down.

Why isn't it that simple? Cut out the middleman, right?

Sure, I don't mind buying more units once I've tested this thing and it turns out to meet my requirements.

Oh, also, I wouldn't mind having the SDK, again, something that the original manufacturer would be in a better position to offer me, and also at a cheaper price if it is something I have to pay for.

hy isn't it that simple? Cut out the middleman, right?

it may sound simple. the middleman is not there to rip you off as you will find when you buy from china with intent to sell on.

1st product cost

2nd shipping

3rd insurance

4th inport tax

are just a few things to look at and then you will still not make any money. you will have a return problem say you buy 10 and 8 are found to have a software problem. your customers are not going to wait 4-5 weeks for a replacment so you have to buy 20.

buying cheap ends up costing you. say the recorders are $40 then you have shipping/ insurance / tax it will end up costing you $70 and you will have to pay for returns then you have to pay to have them back.

here is a warning two or your links are google mail. never deal with a company who does not have a email address.

middleman will save you money if you are not spending thousands of $$$$. and buying from your own country helps the economy

flyeye, did you get your orders? What was your experience?

I was looking at the cheap Chinese stuff (as compared to the expensive Chinese stuff from AverMedia and GeoVision). I had to look. In the end, what has my mind changed is that I could not find any reliable places to buy them online in the US. And I certainly cannot find anything that makes me feel comfortable buying from companies like alibaba.com, aliexpress.com, dinodirect.com, etc.

I read that even PayPal won't help. What I read was that they don't guarantee against items that are not as described so when you lose your arbitration there, you have to go to your credit card company for a charge-back - a practice that will get your paypal account closed. Apparently paypal only really protects when you buy on eBay. So I went to eBay to see what cheap Chinese stuff was there. Surprisingly, I couldn't find many NIB modern DVR cards listed on eBay and those that I found were 600 to 1000+ dollars. It seems that if these places were all legit, they would at least sell on eBay if they don't have real US online ordering. My personal choice is that I don't buy much on eBay but I was willing to stretch to save a few hundred dollars. With eBay prices so close to what I can find from legitimate online sellers, why would I buy through eBay?

So, for me, it is still a choice between AVerMedia and GeoVision so far. Which sucks only because I'd love to get 16 channels D1, real-time for under 300 dollars. Who wouldn't? Of course I would love to hear any other solid recommendations.

hy isn't it that simple? Cut out the middleman, right?[/quote]

it may sound simple. the middleman is not there to rip you off as you will find when you buy from china with intent to sell on.

middleman will save you money if you are not spending thousands of $$$$. and buying from your own country helps the economy

And then after cutting "middleman" they come to CCTV Forum for help

and all of us jump to help them

wow very cool

It seems that if these places were all legit, they would at least sell on eBay if they don't have real US online ordering. My personal choice is that I don't buy much on eBay but I was willing to stretch to save a few hundred dollars. With eBay prices so close to what I can find from legitimate online sellers, why would I buy through eBay?

Paypal/Ebay sucks, it is geared towards north americans.

they hate us foreigners, charges can be triple and there are a ton of restrictions for foreigners.

its basically useless to us, probably useless to the asian resellers also.

wow very cool

AK357,

I go to forums on some topics where only those in the profession are allowed to join. I find that in some electrician forums, building inspection forums, etc. I'm not in either of those professions; I am building a house and go there for information so I can read but not ask or post.

CCTV Forum could do the same and that would address your concern. It would be too bad for the rest of us. But as it is, with it being an open forum, the pros don't have to answer us. You do it by choice. I suppose that those pros who are here year after year (6 years for you! Wow!), do it because they are passionate about the technology and love to share their knowledge. I am a software developer (well, now manager of software developers). The development community is also made up of mostly such helpful people as well.

I have to tell you, though, and I hopefully speak for all of the amateurs here, that I (or we) really do appreciate the replies and support you pros willingly share with us. We appreciate that your passion for what you do generally overrules your impatience with the rest of us. So, yes, you are right about us cutting the pros out and then coming here to get free help from the pros. But thanks for your help just the same.

hy isn't it that simple? Cut out the middleman, right?[/quote]

wow very cool

My experience has been fine.

You people sure are negative. Jeez. Are you nervous about your job becoming obsolete?

I've bought 5 samples from different suppliers, including one from aliexpress, which was $200 with free shipping. I've seen similar things for sale from western dealers for $1500

So, everything is ok. I still don't know who really makes it though.....

How did that aliexpress thing work out for you, flyeye? The thing that interests me from there are the hundreds or thousands of things that are made in China that we can't even find for sale. There is cool stuff (if it works) that distributors and resellers just aren't sharing with us. And one of the most scarce things on the net is a positive review of any dealings with alibaba.com or aliexpress.

How did that aliexpress thing work out for you, flyeye? The thing that interests me from there are the hundreds or thousands of things that are made in China that we can't even find for sale. There is cool stuff (if it works) that distributors and resellers just aren't sharing with us. And one of the most scarce things on the net is a positive review of any dealings with alibaba.com or aliexpress.

It worked out fine for me. No problems. I think, like ebay, there is some reputation system which makes it mostly safe as long as you're careful. And I paid by credit card, so there is additional protection there.

If you still want to find out more about the OEM, you can try searching on the PC board numbers once you get it. Open it up, look for model numbers and such on the various boards and components, and plug them into Google. Not always effective, but I've found lots of obscure components that way.